concrete floor question

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

concrete floor question

Postby dani » Sun May 23, 2010 9:31 am

are these salvageable? Looks like glue. I'm guessing its from the parquet that used to be through out our techbuilt home.

I would really love to pull up all the carpet but Im afraid.

dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby dani » Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 am

Well I just realized it's like a tar... ruined perfectly great concrete! So frustrated with them.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 am

Bean-e-do from Franmar chemical. Look for old threads as retyping the collective wisdom would be too much. It is too bad our Search is so broken though. Try to limit search terms. I just got some good results doing two separate searches using these terms in each:

Franmar

VCT

Also, do look at the floor Miguel ended up with at his house in Fresno. I wish I could direct you to that particular thread, but it is probably among ones related to concrete floors. After removing all the old tile and mastic in his house, he had a pro come in and polish (grind really) the floors. It exposed the aggregate and looks like a Terrazzo.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 am

thanks, I have been doing research today... and searches here :) it looks to be Mastic. It will come up with heat, but we have about 1,800 sf. to do. So we will have to see what I come up with.

worst case is we put down cork :)

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun May 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Most of us who have done our floors had what you have at some point. In my case that's what it looked like after removing old VAT tiles. The Been-e-do took it right up. You need to remove that to do cork anyway. (unless you contemplate using a floating version)

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun May 23, 2010 12:38 pm

we were contemplating a "float" cork, but are leaning toward concrete. We have a "radiant" floor. The floor actually works best in our laundry, because it has concrete floors, followed by the kitchen and baths because they have tile... which is late 80's early 90's style and needs to be replaced :) right now we are dealing with heat... upper 80's and the rooms are hot where there is carpet.

I think the BEAN-e-doo is our best bet then. It will be a large undertaking, but worth it never the less.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 pm

you don't want to float cork over you radiant system. you don't want to float anything.

it's not tar, it's mastic. you'll need to use a mastic remover. Been-e-do is a good choice. just follow the instructions. It won't be easy, but you can do it. give your self a couple days. you will not be able to hire someone to do it because the mastic contains asbestos. Asbestos removal is heavily regulated, different in each state and is usually expensive. If money isn't an issue, you can find asbestos removal companies in your phonebook. search this forum for past discussions. not a huge deal to remove.

once you've cleaned and degreased your slab, glue the cork to the slab. Unless you are a professional installer, you want to hire a pro to do it. your radiant system will work fine, much better than carpet. if you float the cork, you'll create a vapor barrier, which will act like insulation against your system.

concrete floors are OK, but cork is better. if you go with concrete, and the slab looks OK after it's clean, just seal it. you can then wax and polish it.

now, if neither of these options fit your budget, VCT is a great option. I have 1240 sqft of it.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 am

we are trying to decide on flooring. I want to be "done" with it by winter if possible. We have 2 screen porches that can house furniture while we work. If it is too cold, we will have to store them inside somewhere.

Here is our case.... 1 airedale terrier, he's a year old. 2 kids... 18 mos and 3 1/2 years. My husband is a landscape contractor (lots of dirt). We live in the woods, it snows here most of the winter. We need floor in ALL of the house. I want to make it "seamless" I feel it unifies the space more. Right now we even have carpet in the dining area. Not so good with little ones.

What flooring would you choose... or pros and cons of your floor.

Also anyone have recommendations for period floors for a screen porch?? it is not insulated, and is screened and Plexiglas. Moisture does get in. Right now there is Indoor/Outdoor carpet. I was wondering if there were any other choices?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 6:57 am

you should be able to complete your new floor throughout the house in a week. you also have a garage to house furniture too. it will be chaos, but you can do it. do you have friends you can stay with for a couple days near by?

if you can afford cork, do cork. from there concrete and VCT.

you ceiling should also unify rooms too.

screen porch? haven't had that question here before that I recall... what's the foundation? concrete slab?

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 am

Our porches are set on footings and replaced the decks. So the underneath is open. It is plywood. I have pics but my internet connection is mobile and not strong for some reason today.. .... I am working on loading them

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 am

for the screen porches, will the floors get wet or a lot of direct sun?

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 am

no sun at all. not direct water, but maybe some moisture. We plan on putting full windows in at sometime. right now it is plexi and we take a few off in the summer and leave as screens but the overhangs are so wide I don't think we get water in.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

looking at your photo on flicker, it would be nice to continue the same flooring from the living area, but maybe flor tiles for a nice contrast... http://www.flor.com

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 am

maybe we could do the FLOR on the porch with a FLOR "area rug" in the living area or foyer.... that may be the ticket to tying it all in....

Thanks!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon May 24, 2010 7:53 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 am

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 am

just an FYI, there are cheaper alternative to FLOR tiles...they definitely have the best selection but your local office design store can often locate designer carpet tiles at a better price than FLOR brand.

I found mine here:

http://www.carpettilewarehouse.com/

and got free shipping!
Jennie and Zane

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 am

Having VCT, in black, and caring for it, I vote for Cork. It's expensive (the reason I don't have it) but the cushioning would be worth it.
But the dirty little secret of all hard floor surfaces is the need for rugs anyway. So you may want to just live with plain concrete while you slowly acquire area rugs. We have one large machine made wool rug. (shopping for that, the things we liked best were in the thousands so we settled for a mere one thousand) That rug has ended up under the dinning room table, mostly because the scrapping of chairs was just too much for me (the primary waxer and buffer thereof) Actual hand made rugs are very expensive. I have gotten lucky at places like T.J. Max getting real rugs with small imperfections. We also forked over some serious cash (from an inheritance) on a couple more. Real hand made wool rugs are an investment. I am amazed at how easy they are to maintain. After vacuuming I just use a damp rag to remove any stains. Using plain water. You could also save some sections of the old wall to wall to use temporarily.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

slate might look nice, too...

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages ... ain_03.jpg

and i'd think it'd be durable and possible to install over the mastic-stained subfloor (you'd need to remove the mass of the mastic, but the mastic stains pretty badly and getting to a clean surface will take grinding)

our favorite floor has been a concrete floor, but it was poured and finished as a final floor. our least favorite was a concrete slab we worked to make look like a finished floor -- but with the cracks and patches never really looked right.... which is why we went with black VCT in our present home (plus, it was dead-cheap).

overall, methinks we (the global-we) have developed a tast for floors which is inappropriate for the materials themselves and the lifestyles we lead. a floor is not a piece of furniture.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am

thanks for the link to the carpet tiles!

Well we went to home depot today to pick up some marking paint and fell in love with a floor. Theirs. I love how they have some aggregate exposed on their concrete... It looks more like a natural stone. I think more and more we are leaning towards concrete. If we don't like what we find, then we can cover it up!

We were just discussing the "rug" issue last night. In our previous house we had hardwood and never got around to getting a area rug for the living room, because our main investment was the hardwood for the kitchen, hall and living room. We were saying how it would be nice not to spend a small fortune on floors and have some $$$$ left to get a nice rug or 2 :)

We will need a LARGE one for the living area, actually my grandmother has a perfects set of them... they are beige wool and have Camels on them in diffrent shades of oranges... She has had them since the 60's and has only gotten them cleaned once (because she thought it would be a fortune). It was only $100.00 to clean them and they came out so soft and wonderful.... I need to start visiting estate sales!!!!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 10:24 am

This is our fire place in the living room, this is why I am assuming they were going to go with slate originally

final walk through, not our furniture, but you get the just... btw way, anyone know what era the couch is from?

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue May 25, 2010 12:42 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Mask everything. I even have to do this when I strip and re-wax my VCT. I had some black spots flung 7' high. Even if you are going to paint the walls, cover them. The black spots will be hard to cover with paint.

Like your photo, my mastic was not thick right next to the walls. I worked in areas about 10 X10. After the initial scrape, scoop & mop up, I used the Been-e-do and painted it onto small areas that needed follow up. So I never truely flooded an entire area. I have seen photos of that, and it's just not the way I could tackle it.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 pm

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”