mahogany paneling + water - how to repair?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
firebird
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

mahogany paneling + water - how to repair?

Postby firebird » Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 am

Hi everyone,

I recently had a small leak in the upstairs bath that resulted in some water dripping to the downstairs, over one of the mahogany panels - and now there's a single yellowish trace on the mahogany where the water ran all the way down the panel. It is quite minor, there is no buckling and probably unnoticeable unless you are looking for it, but it drives me crazy. How can I take care of this? I'd rather not embark on a large sanding/varnishing project at this time.

Thanks!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 24, 2010 9:08 am

It may slowly go away as it dries throughly. Beyond that, I'd look online about fixing stains and water marks on furniture.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri May 28, 2010 8:15 am

Is it real mahogany, or Philippine-mahogany(lauan)? How thick is the paneling, is it 1/8-inch? If it is the 1/8 lauan, I wouldn't suggest sanding it, unless you're used to working on the stuff, as it's really easy to burn through your panel with just a few passes of your sanding block. Using your hand to sand this will kill the panel, faster than you can say "triscadecaphobia" (fear of the number-13). Is it shellac that it's varnished with? You may want to try cleaning the entire panel, then oiling it with some kind of protective, restorative oil, or you can try putting mayonnaise on a small portion, to see if that reactivates the varnish, yeah it really works!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 am

Yeah, try using a small paint brush to apply some mayo (hold the pickles!) and let it sit of a day, then wipe it off is it hasn't been completely absorbed. Don't discount it 'cause it sounds weird, it works on my tables and chairs every time some they get water stained - really! This trick has been around since at least the 1920's!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri May 28, 2010 10:53 am

you might try some neutral (clear) howard's restore-a-finish... there's a reason we call it "jesus juice" in our house.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:47 am

go online to learn how to test the finish. If its a milky type stripe then its shellac. Easy to remove, but you will have to recoat the entire wall..no big deal though.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”