paint removal on furnace vent cover

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

paint removal on furnace vent cover

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 3:15 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 25, 2010 4:13 pm

A hall return grill being a finish grade of metal would be rare. (not so the bath vent covers) It was probably always painted. Originally I think just white. It would have to be a really nice one to bother stripping.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 pm

in my picture it's not white, it's gray. the grass cloth around it is an off white natural color.... maybe it was painted to match the trim... which was an opaque gray. Maybe I'll pull it off and look at the back of it.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm

There are A LOT of strippers out there; my personal fave is Jasco. It is pretty harsh:

This stuff will pretty much nuke anything, and it's really fast, seconds sometimes. If it's lanunamum, er ah, nulunmumum, yeah I know, aluminum, you may want to get an aircraft grade stripper, aluminum-safe!
If it's steel, you may want to get a little fancy, when you're done, and "blue" it, something like this:

http://www.vansgunblue.com/

This will actually help protect it from rust, but keep it waxed. The bluing actually oxidizes the metal, not unlike rust, but it's purdy! It makes it a nice blackish-blue; just a thought!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed May 26, 2010 9:40 am

if you prefer a more "green" solution, franmar, makers of bean-e-do, makes a paint remover.

here's another option: soda blasting. look it up on google. pretty cool way to clean and strip paint. you might have a soda blaster near you to take your vents to

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 am

Before we get too carried away, I'd like to see a photo of said (and getting dear) return cover.

KevinEP
Modern Master

Another option

Postby KevinEP » Wed May 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Boil in water on a hot plate.

The paint will peel off after about 20 minutes.

dani
Modern Master

Re: Another option

Postby dani » Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 am

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu May 27, 2010 11:38 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”