Bathroom tile original or not?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bathroom tile original or not?

Postby dani » Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm

What are your opinions on this? I thought it was put in after the original, as a remodel, but I have been searching and found some other period baths with similar tile. The Bernoudy-Mutrux home in Ladue, Missouri has similar tile in the bathrooms.
(1950 Bernoudy-Mutrux on the National Register)

Our house was built in 1965/66 if that helps.

Here is the tile in our baths.

We need to fix the shower in the first 2 pics.... the drywall behind has water damage and it's coming apart tile by tile.

The last pic it the master bath, that has a full shower out of the tile also.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun May 30, 2010 2:14 am

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sun May 30, 2010 6:00 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun May 30, 2010 7:39 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

The shower needs to be redone. The bath is in great condition, so it will stay.

So Opinions needed: Would you....

1) remove the tile and salvage (it does have black mold on the backs of some tile). I have a few sheets also in the garage, to replace any broken.

2) remove and salvage some tile, to tie in the new tile and the existing floor tile.

3) just install NEW tile, keeping with the same style.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 31, 2010 6:45 pm

I would probably try to reuse the old and additional tile. (even the mold could be removed) However, it kind of depends on how it comes down. It could be covered on the back with some kind of kind of mastic that can't be removed easily. So be prepared to change course.

I recommend redoing the walls with a masonry product. Like wonderboard. Then a product like Kerdi for waterproofing:

http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

It's what Mike Holmes uses. It's expensive. I did find some similar product cheaper, but I can't remember what it was. I have done some research because my shower also has tile stuck directly to drywall. Not everything new in the 50's and 60's was a good idea. One cannot effectively tile drywall, it just flexes too much.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 31, 2010 6:52 pm

It is just stuck to the wall, no mastic. I think if all comes off, we will try and reuse it. Hopefully all the grout is brittle enough it comes apart as well. We are tackling this project in the winter and have loads of time to do it then, so we can be tedious.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 31, 2010 8:32 pm

I like it, try to reuse

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”