Vintage fridge

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Vintage fridge

Postby squeaky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

Anyone know where I can find a vintage fridge in Los Angeles area? I've searched Craigslit and the web and only found 2 stores in the LA area.

I've also looked at the Big Chill fridges. Really nice but also heart stopping expensive!

Thanks so much!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:52 am

When we "undo" our 90's kitchen I would like to design it around an orange big chill :) Orange is our accent color through out the house. Each room has some orange, just a little.

I say if your not in a hurry keep checking Craigs list. Even if your willing to travel a bit to get it... renting a U haul may be worth it. I've seen the for about 150.00 around here, in working condition. So keep searching or check habitat for humanity "restore" they had some at ours, but they were in not so great shape.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:04 pm

open your yellow pages of a phone book and check the fridge repair section. many of them sell fridges. check the ones who have been in business for a while. you might have to drive to a not so nice neighborhood for such stores, but will be worth it. most are not online.

stainless was quite popular in the '50s and '60s, so perhaps a new, timeless designed stainless can do the job.

another way is to attend estate sales and open houses and then leave a note with the realtor if there is a fridge you are interested in. unfortunately, many kitchens are gutted when homes turn over, you can benefit from that.

if your home is of Modern/contemporary design, those Big Chill appliances would look out of place. I had a fridge and stove in that style in my 1939 cape cod. those retro designs were usually found in more traditional homes.

Modern/contemporary designed homes of the '50s and '60s usually had timeless looking stainless steel appliances. thankfully, there is a wide range in today's marketplace. I added a kenmoore fridge and dishwasher to team up with my original westinghouse oven and cooktop. look great together.

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 pm

If you're willing to drive to San Diego this one looks nice and is only $250.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/atq/1770249908.html

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 am

I'm going to have to say that vintage refrigerators are not a good idea. Yes, the Bill Chill units are expensive. But they have the latest energy efficient guts and the monthly savings can pay the difference in a few years.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 am

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:40 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:36 am

A home renovation show recently visited a vintage appliance place.
Can't recall the name but similar to what Nichols posted. It is just fact
that it is costly to update them correctly. Not an appliance that i would
want unless restored well. I had a vintage Norge in my last place.
It was a bit of a nightmare when considering all parts break down
eventually including shelving and door seals. Hard to find original
parts. It was supposedly restored and under warranty. It conked a few
times and destroyed lots of food. They always came and fixed but
not worth it. Once it was warmer inside than out and happened over
night.

Some new choices do integrate nicely in original kitchens. Often better
than what was available at the time. My kitchen is original. Cabinets,
floors, lighting, doors, slider and windows. I've updated the appliances.
I can't recall Joe's fridge but the fisher/paykel is a great choice as well.

I've not seen pics of your kitchen but does it desire vintage to complete
the look? Only a full restore would be worth it. All new parts.

If an integrated color is what you are after, a 1200 dollar fridge could
be custom painted. Or custom panels applied. Just a thought.

Much nicer choices than when i was shopping just a few years ago.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I can't speak for Squeaky, but if I was trying to restore a house with a vintage kitchen, a contemporary stainless fridge would be like sticking a Prius fender on a Studebaker. #-o Refrigerators have a much shorter 'shelf life' than ovens and cooktops. They don't survive in situ. I've been in hundreds and hundreds of midcentury homes on tours, research and estate sales and maybe 2% have an original kitchen with a period refrigerator. They take extra effort to locate, maintain, defrost. Vintage fridges are less energy efficient, they have less room inside, there is no automatic ice maker - BUT they are exceedingly rare and special and beautiful.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Um this was, when we bought it, brand new; I just painted it with automotive paint. It was stainless, but, I, we, wanted a pink fridge:

It's a Frigidaire!
Please, no comment on the dishwasher, some JERKFACE took out the green tiles, that don't even line up! Stick with a modern appliance, they're just better all around, hands-down! Hey Nichols, this is like putting a "god-handle"(rear-spoiler) on a Rambler, eh?
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

MCMLII
Modern Fan

Postby MCMLII » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm

As others have said keep searching Craigslist in your area. We recently bought the V-handle Philco below for $75. I work as an engineer in refrigeration so this has become my summer project and will hopefully keep my beer cold soon.

I should probably add it's costly to hire a professional to restore these things for a few reasons. I believe most ran with R12 refrigerant (at least 50's era) which was replaced years ago. It's still available but you have to certified to use it. Some people convert them to R134a which is what I plan to do with mine. I think a lot of the inefficiency of these older units comes from poor insulation and gaskets (things I plan to replace also). However they also ran less fans, timers and heating elements (used for defrost and mullion heaters) so some energy is saved there.

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice! You guys are all very awesome!

I'm trying to close escrow on a MCM house which luckily still has the original kitchen cabinets, western holly countertop stove and oven. That's why I was trying to find a fridge to complete the look. I will post more pics of the property once escrow closes. I'm paranoid and I'm afraid of jinxing things by announcing that the house is mine before it officially is!

The painting idea is great. Love the pink fridge btw. I think that's the best solution right now, short of spending $4K on a fridge.

On a different note, do you guys know of someone who does a good job refacing kitchen cabinets? Unfortunately, the previous owner painted over the original cabinets. I was thinking of just painting over it but am afraid that I might screw up the cabinets and ruin them forever. I'm not much of a DIY'er. Ideally, I would've like to strip off all of the paint and restore it to it's original state but I'm afraid the wood has already been ruined by the paint. Anyone have similar experiences?

Thank you! :)

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 pm

They could probably be stripped. If that seems huge task, new doors and draw faces can be made to match the originals and then only the face frames would need stripping. Note: some MCM was very modern and had what is currently called EURO style frameless cabinets. I will wait for the photos to be specific. Good Luck with the closing. I am so glad I got into a house when anyone with a pulse could. (however poorly that worked out for many) By the way, my house has its original Western Holly range top and oven! In Yellow.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Auch, don'a be afreed, ya canna mess'em up! Really, just do it, or at least try... just get a gallon of stripper, there's all sort of low-emission strippers you can even use in doors--SHAZAM! Get a scraper, about four-inches wide, and a brush, about two-inches wide. You may also want some rubber gloves:
and safety-glasses:
Read the instructions on the side/back, apply, wait, scrape, let dry, sand lightly, with say, 150-220-grit paper and a SANDING-BLOCK, don't use your hands, as it's easy to mess up your nice surface! Wipe down with paint thinner, this will remove all the schmootz/dust that gets into the grain of the wood. Then use another brush to apply some shellac, which dries so fast you won't even have time to worry about runs, and if you do get runs, or sags, wait oh, 20 minutes to an hour and sand, then re-shellac it; it's so easy even these two can do it:

Our kitchen was originally mental-hospital-green, which is a super color, but someone re-did our cabinets before we moved in, this was in oil based paint too. I know this because I can find traces of color every one in a while on the insides.
Just be patient, it's really not as hard as you're telling yourself!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:53 pm

I wanna strip our bathroom vanities.... someday :) but they did a good job painting them too, so I can live with them for now.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 am

We bought a Hotpoint refrigerator, circa 1950 in 1998, and it's been reliable and trouble-free ever since. It has a separate freezer compartment and door, so the interior space is larger perhaps than other vintage refrigerators. I've found it to be well insulated, and it rarely turns on. You do have to defrost it, which is the only negative thing I can say about it.

We restored our kitchen last year - we're lucky to have all the original blueprints and alot of vintage photographs and a Kodachrome film, and we really wanted to stay true to the period. Our kitchen cabinets were originally painted plywood, and there were only three layers of paint, the last layer being latex applied over the oil-based layers, without primer. So that layer could be scraped off with a thumbnail. We did strip the doors with a heat gun, which works incredibly well when dealing with paint over wood. Not so much over metal.

Here are some pictures of the process, you can see the refrigerator in there too. We also have a 1941 General Electric stove.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srk1941/se ... 796438476/
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:13 am

May I ask, who did your stainless countertop and how much did it cost?

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 am

I have the name of the guy somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

Our cabinetmaker created the wood template for it, and the metal worker wrapped it and installed it.

So for the stainless (with marine edge) installed (minus the underlying template) was roughly 1100.00.

I'll look around for his contact information.
Steven Keylon

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 am

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am

Steven Keylon

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:39 pm

great job on the kitchen!

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”