house numbers, a bit stumped

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

house numbers, a bit stumped

Postby dani » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 am

I have been racking my brain about house numbers. Not so much as to what type or font, but where to put them. The house to my knowledge has never had them. We are rural so we have a "fire number" at the street. If I put the numbers on the house they will not be visible from the street. I was thinking of doing some thing like a wall or planter to fix them too 1/4 way up the drive, or should I just put them on the wall next to the garage door? any pics or examples would be WONDERFUL!

I was thinking of tying some orange (color of the front door) in with the numbers, just a little to make them more visible in the woods.

here I am standing on the road. our drive curves from the right of this picture and up. I was thinking of placing the planter or wall pretty much where the post light is. The garage door will be the same color as the house.

or should they just go to the right of the garage door?

front door color

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 am

Dani, yeah, I'd put it on the right of the garage, I think descending: this is my front door:

and I made this so people on the street can find our house:

I wanted it to look like it was from the National Forest Service, because we live in an area of California that's an oak preserve!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 am

Some in my area affix the numbers to a cut and polished piece of stone and set it in the lawn or groundcoverout front. A landscape light helps of course, but perhaps you could set it near your lamp.

Some are small boulders that look as if they have been cut and polished in a lapridary shop. Others are simply a nice piece of flagstone or slate.

I do not know if that is period correct (no doubt some others will chime in on that) but it looks cool.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 am

I was also thinking, if I do the number on the house, To make the address more apparent on the mail box. We are missing numbers (we have none) and the name dates back 2 owners :) so either way the mailbox needs to be updated. The box itself is in disrepair, the bottom is cracked and it is dented on both sides. we really need a new post too. so I can always go that route and then out numbers on the house also.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 am

dani, we've had hundreds of years of house number discussions on this forum, do use the search function and explore old threads.

house numbers today are much easier to come by than they were 5 years ago. I suggest picking a nice, clean looking typeface from within 10 years of the period of your home. I think some located under the light on the left edge of your garage would be a great place. I would run them horizontally, rather than vertically.

old sunset books on entries and fences will also offer some good period ideas too.

here's mine:

the typeface is zurich light, from the '50s. pretty timeless
http://www.customhousenumbers.com/

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 am

my searches pull up every tread... I keep drying to dig for them :)

I kinda like the horizontal best along the left of the garage.

I am still even deciding on the color of the beams on the garage and house, I believe it is going to be the same color as the window trim, the dark blue.... but that means I really need the same color through out the house right?? They are brown on the porches and a opaque gray/blue in the rest of the house (Stain). I really think the dark blue would be nice in all of the house. We also tossed around the idea of taking the stain off, down to the fir beams and just applying poly. I would however really like to keep everything uniform and simple.

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm

This one is very nice as well. More info here

Visit my Blog

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I've got the small front fence with house numbers as well:
The numbers are from /

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Merritt, that front yard is drop-dead GORGEOUS!
What is your flickr name? i'd like to see more!

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Merritt, that front yard is drop-dead GORGEOUS!
What is your flickr name? i'd like to see more!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Is there an echo in here?

This is the thread that Merritt posted, with a link to his Flickr photos when his landscape was just finished:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=82588

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 am

I have my landscape plans all drawn up (well sketched up), finally. Took a long time to decide on the back and I have been milling over the front for some time. I still need to decide on the "number" issue but want to get the landscape going first. I have a REAL hard time doing any design for myself as I over analyze everything.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”