Asbestos in ducting

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
squeaky
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Asbestos in ducting

Postby squeaky » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm now deep in escrow on my dream MCM home. I can't wait to close escrow and post my pics here on the forum! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just had the inspection on monday and nothing significantly wrong except for an old water heater, furnance & electrical panel (but in working order). Seller agreed to do further inspections and repair whatever is broken at their expense. And installation of a brand new water heater! Yay!

One thing which I originally wasn't concerned with but now is worried about is "asbestos-like" material found insulating the ducting. According to the inspection, it is not damaged and pose no immediate risk if left undisturbed. I don't plan on ever using the heater at all since I live in Socal, but originally from snowy Canada so I never feel really cold here.

I'm curious as to how many of you have asbestos in the ducting of your homes and how you've chosen to deal with it? Complete removal, repair or leave as is? If you had it removed, how much did it cost?

Thank you! :)

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:07 pm

but my great uncle sprayed asbestos his entire life...dad said looked like he was covered in snow...no respirator. Passed away in late 90s..not due to lung problems.
Dont worry about it.
Post edited due to happy hour influences.
Last edited by reverb2000 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 pm

It depends on the type of duct really. The ductwork in my house is covered in asbestos, but the inside is metal. So I don't really worry about it. I may, depending the recommendations of an HVAC contractor when furnace and A/C redo happens wrap some of it with metal tape. Just to incase. However there are some old ducts that are made entirely of asbestos and are easily crushed especially by someone crawling in an attic. That stuff should be replaced. And don't forget, living in LA may necessitate the addition of A/C someday. Home inspectors often have an out in recommending further evaluation by a professional. I would try to pay an HVAC pro to look the system over. You may want to accept as is. But knowing how much it would cost to redo may be informative.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Asbestos insulation around the ductwork is VERY common in SoCal. If it is just on the outside of metal ducts, it doesn't pose any special health risks. Do note, however, that when you want to replace the furnace or add A/C, you will likely need to replace the ducts entirely as they were never designed for the high output of modern blower motors. At that point, you will either need to remove it yourself or pay for remediation.

The key thing to note here is that just about any house of this vintage will have a similar issue if the furnace and ductwork haven't been done.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't have any ducts :D

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Just to add:
The reason ducts and A/C is an issue is that current energy codes in California at least require that ducts be sealed and insulated. To add A/C will require new ducting.

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am

Thank you so much for the advice! I feel so much better now!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”