opinions needed on bedroom flooring

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

opinions needed on bedroom flooring

Postby dani » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Alright I am asking for opinions. :) Or pros/cons. on this. :wink: We have narrowed floor choices down. We are planning on a congoleum tile (ebony), very similar to the armstong VCT black, but slightly more blue. It has white streaks in it also (like the look of the VAT). This will be in the living, dining, kitchen, foyer and in the hallway. Bathrooms will remain original tile. We are planning on doing the girls rooms in commercial carpet tiles.

My question is: would you (based on your experiences) do the master (which is over 300 sqft) in congoleum tile, with a large area rug or would you do commercial carpeting like the other bedrooms?

I know we will be all over the board on this, but maybe you'll think of something I have not.

Thanks!

here is the tile compared next to classic black armstrong. The congoleum is the small tile.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 am

i suggest uniform flooring through out.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 am

I agree with Joe, we both have the same VCT everywhere. I just scrubbed and re-waxed about half the house and it's killer!
However, Joe is a DINK, and I'm a grandpa. When I put down a black VCT I did not know my grandson would be living here. So black would not be my first choice. I did it on Saturday and it could use a vacuum or swifter right now (Monday) So you might want to consider a more forgiving color with kids. All the doors and windows stay open in our house. Dust is everywhere. I have had black cars, to have anything black, you have to love cleaning and waxing.
With respect to the everywhere thing: besides the visual continuous-ness, it is important to me to not have a grade change between rooms or in doorways. It does not take much to make me trip. (clown good-old guy bad)
I bet the ceramic tile in the baths once met the parquet flush.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:55 am

Well, we have talked about this more over the weekend and today. We are leaning toward all VCT even in the girls rooms. We can but some carpet tiles in their rooms for a rug or just get area rugs.

As for the color, yes we have both black cars too LOL. I am pretty OCD on cleaning. The fact of cleaning the floors often does not bother me. We had a dark wood floors and dark granite counters at our old house and I'm aware of the dust issues on it.

That being said, with VCT I love the fact that I can get it to a "just installed" look easily. With kids and a dog that drip water (dogs beard) and spill things easily, It is more important that I can just wipe up whatever. We have white tile in the kitchen and foyer and I hate it. It is the ceramic textured type. It shows dirt easily and everything sticks to it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 am

As long as you know what you are getting into, then go for it. Just have it professionally installed. Prepping the surface is the lion's share of it. You will save a lot by removing as much old mastic and even the tile if you can.

Do you use a string mop and wringer bucket? Doing hard surface floors requires working in a swirl and figure eight pattern.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:24 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 am

i think joe, egads and myself might be the VCT corner of the forum and those two have wise words for you -- especially the pro-install. i'd even go so far as to say "pay for what you can"... i.e.: in my experience, you'll waste a lot of sweat equity trying to save a few bucks.

in our install, we did much of the prep work ourselves... bean-e-doo, grinding, etc... it was hell. after all that, the install (1800sf) cost $4.5K... a neighbor (with a slightly smaller home @ 1600sf) had the whole house done (and i believe the first coat of sealer and finish) for $8K... all he had to do was remove the baseboards. they had carpet, newer tile, old VAT tile, glue down vinyl, the works (all of which the flooring company stripped and disposed of). they pulled the baseboards off, went away for 3 days, came back to newly installed floors and wrote a check when the bill came... that would have been $3.5K extra that i'd have happily spent. in fact, i'm not unconvinced that the MEK stripper we used on the glue-down vinyl didn't give my wife cancer the following year. seriously.

for your question specifically, i'd echo joe's advice... the VCT can/will be a neater, tidier and more durable install than any carpet which would likely need to be replaced in less than 10years time (hello, landfill). we have VCT throughout and it is the main flooring in the high-traffic areas of the house (hallways, doorways) and in the center, more-restful areas of the room, we have area rugs -- which can be changed out easily (and have a 2nd life in someone else's home) when out tastes change or the cat pukes up something nasty that the rugdoctor can't get up. presently, the latter is proving more accurate.

personally, i'm more a fan of the armstrong for a few reasons. (1) it's cheaper, (2) it's more available (and when you need an extra tile in 20 years, you'll be more likely to find this pattern), (3) when installed, it looks more uniform -- almost stained concrete like (and isn't really an "element" in the house like a more characteristic floor might be)... but those are all personal preferences.

on the maintenance... we've only self-coated a few area of the home with the "air-dried gloss" look of the finish (3 coats or so)... i think egads might be buffing his to a higher sheen. if you do it all at once, i'd suggest -- while the areas are clear -- to have a pro-company seal and coat the floor as doing it later can prove to be a pain (ask me how i know). in either case, we've not found dust to be any more of a problem than it might be on any other color (and with black, the seams don't show as much). we have a 20lb cat and a few 3lb hairballs floating about, but i'd rather see it (and grab it) than have them lurk in a rug somewhere. we have 2 roombas that patrol the areas, too, which helps. and like joe, we're DINKs... but i might go toe-to-toe with egads grandson on the messiest/dirt-slingiest person in lottaliving land.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 am

we just had armstrong VCT installed in a bedroom after looking at many options. It just came out to be affordable.

i would mention that VCT all over will definitely give you a more accurate retro look. for my wife and I, our style is more overall modern...not necessarily ONLY MCM...so too much of the VCT makes it difficult to match with more modern furnishings. hence, we elected for one or 2 rooms of VCT with a modern birch/light maple choice for the large portion of the space. still very clean and unassuming but not necessarily period accurate.
Jennie and Zane

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 am

of course the classic black is my favorite :) but my other half wanted slate, until he learned what maintenance is involved. The congoleum is a compromise since it is close to the color of slate he wanted. We are contemplating putting up wood on one wall also, since the original plans called for it and it was never done.

I am going to check with the company we are using, if they will do the tear out and what it will cost us??. As I remember last time we went through this with the same company (just removing carpet) to put in wood floors, it would have only saved us $200.00 but that is totally different.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:49 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:35 pm

i think a good quality slate (or slate-esque) surface would be more trouble-free than VCT (and actually look better in your house) -- not an educated opinion, but there's stripping and recoating of VCT which is necessary and known... most natural stone is a set, protect and forget scenario. no? (perhaps the occasional stain-preventing renewal coat of protectant, but not stripping). cost is about 6X, however... pretty cold on the feet, too.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”