Our New MCM Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Our New MCM Home

Postby Planner Dude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 pm

So we just bought a MCM in a suburb of Detroit MI this past winter. It's funny that we did since I never really though of owning one before.

I am an Urban Planner by trade, more of a new urbanist too, so it amazes me how I got to here.

Long story short, we have always loved streamlined furniture and interiors. I used to say 50's / 60's or space-age or IKEA-esque, but now know its MCM.

I realized that if I love the interiors of MCM, I should embrace MCM homes too! As a historic preservationist...MCM is the new frontier (i.e. 50 years or older).

We bought a diamond in the rough. It's on Grosse Ile, an island in the Detroit river. It's a walkable neighborhood with access to trails & sidewalks.

Homes are weird here. You'll have MCM mixed in with 60's colonials, Victorians and new tract housing and new very rich mansions. Ransolm Olds (oldsmobile) and Henry Ford has summer homes here.

Our home is a 60's ranch with MCM elements. It has a walk out basement and a huge backyard that backs up the Thorofare Canal (essentially the Detroit River). We have a balcony off the back that runs the length of the house with sliding glass door walls and tempered glass railings.

We have a lot of work to get this up to snuff, but are very excited to do it. Id love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Here are some photos from before we moved in. We've done some renovations already..more to come!

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

This link might work

Postby Planner Dude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 pm

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:14 am

Wow, that place has some really great bones!

I must say, The leaded glass entry way breaks my heart a little bit though...
It that a planter in the kitchen pass-thru?

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 am

Nice home! but yes the leaded glass is a little sad, considering the railing on the deck is so modern, kinda makes me wonder what they were thinking??? I would look into restoring the windows and door, considering the area your in, it's nice to have as many view of nature as you can. I don't know how many times I've looked our my side window at our door to see deer. I would consider even a solid flat door, because you have the side glass window.

Have a wonderful time in your new home!

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 am

Thanks for the compliments.

The leaded glass is an inside treatment that hangs from hooks in the window, so I could take it out. the question is what to put back in it's place?

The door does need to go. I need a storm door too.

I already changed out the chandelier, which was a horrible gold tiered one:

I replaced it with an IKEA one:

Got rid of the Tiffany-esque light in the kitchen too:

I replaced it with an IKEA one:

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:15 pm

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 pm

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 am

I don't think wood finish would look right on your garage door. It just not fitting to the esthetic of the place.
If you do replace your garage door, try to find the simplest flattest door you can, the home depot pressed aluminum panels will look really really bad on your place.

If you frosted your entry windows (like mentioned earlier) and went with one of these (expensive) glass garage doors, it would look pretty sweet!

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 am

I don't think wood finish would look right on your garage door. It just not fitting to the esthetic of the place.
If you do replace your garage door, try to find the simplest flattest door you can, the home depot pressed aluminum panels will look really really bad on your place.

If you frosted your entry windows (like mentioned earlier) and went with one of these (expensive) glass garage doors, it would look pretty sweet!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 am

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:15 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:26 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:08 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:43 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:51 pm

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.chiohd.com/garage-doors/residential/3295/

I am scared to call them to see how much it costs!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”