Help me brainstorm my garage door

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Help me brainstorm my garage door

Postby egads » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Well, my neighbor Marge had some accelerator "issues" and backed, at high speed, through my garage door:

I finally have an insurance settlement and need to replace it. The garage you see is not original. (the structure to the side was the original garage) My first thought was to add a center post and just make a pair of tilt up board & batten doors like the original garages in my tract of Cliff Mays had. However, having that center post would be somewhat inconvenient as I like to back into the garage to load and unload my van. A tilt up door also does not seal very well on the sides and the wasps are getting in and building nests. So I am considering a sectional door. My options there are:

just plain flat steel
plain steel with windows
if plain steel, wood grain or smooth?
rough sawn real wood that I add battens to
a three section door with larger windows
Or?

The garage needs to have some work done to have the gable be glass. It was "faked" when built in the 70's, it's not a post and beam structure. I could tear the roof back and add real 4X6 beams to the front and a sill above the board & batten to make it look right. The garage door header would still be much larger (thick) than an original garage. The light would be most welcome. The b&b that is there right now is not how the originals are done. In fact, they were just open. Some folks have used b&b to fill that area in. Most are either plywood or glass. My problem is limited funds. I will work in that garage and want light and view. Do I stay away from a door with windows and hope I can get the gable glassed? Do I just get a door with windows because being able to see out is very important to me? (I did, after all, buy a house with glass walls and total privacy) I'm torn between function for me and being historically true. I realize I hand out advise around here with devil's abandon, but like a lawyer representing himself or a cobbler making shoes for his own kids, I'm not the one to ask. I'm asking you.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 pm

can I ask what the rest of the house on that side looks like? do you have a picture of it? just to see the full "curb appeal" view.

What direction does the garage door face? We have gable windows on the north and south side, but the south side is partially under a tree. Honestly it's pretty dark in there. To get the most light it would have to get southern or western sun. just something to consider.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 pm

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:04 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:32 am

Here is a photo of a garage my garage guy did for another customer:

I am thinking that this is what I should do, dumping my idea of windows. In the case shown, the owner added the battens to a flat rough sawn door. Having a sectional door has some compelling advantages:
a tight seal when down
full insulation
stiff framework
it can be opened just a little to vent

thoughts?

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 am

I really like that door, and you can have a seal on it then...... can you add a window in the gable latter if you find you really want to?

BTW we finally decided on a wood door. it will be Redwood (rough sawn) flush panel. To save our old door was just not worth it... it was in much disrepair the more we inspected it. We are just waiting for a sum of cash to come in, hopefully it holds till then!!!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:11 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:46 pm

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am

Not sure if this would work but I met someone in the neighborhood yesterday who may want to sell her original garage doors. I have no experience with this so not sure if garage doors can be transplanted from one house to another.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:42 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:48 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm

So I'm down to the final decision.Yes it is possible to get the face in rough sawn with the panels mounted vertically. But might I be better off going with the MDO face. It will hold up a lot better between paint jobs. While the existing board a & batten is rough sawn, it has been painted so many times the surface is getting kind of smooth. Cost is a toss up. What to do?????

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”