Clutter & Junk

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Clutter & Junk

Postby Planner Dude » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:39 am

Q; How do you deal with it?

My parents are major pack rats, which unfortunately rubbed off on me, but I am trying to change.

How do you separate yourself you past belongings--vintage video games, albums, etc?

How do you deal with kids clutter?

How big are your homes? We have a smaller (1300 upstairs 1300 walk-out basement)

I'd love to hear from any of you that might have been in this situation before.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 am

crap management.

more of a personal issue, really. I suggest you watch a couple episodes of Hoarders :wink:

for me, it comes down to space. I try to keep all storage under 75% capacity.

eventually, stuff has to go. I only keep stuff of value, or has great sentimental value, which I keep to a minimum. I moved from a 2300 sqft house to a 1280 sqft house and took me a couple years to get rid of stuff.

kids should not have clutter. if so, it's the parents fault for giving them too much stuff and not teaching them to pick up after themselves. sounds harsh, but it's true.

inviting guests over frequently forces you to clean up your place. not as much of a challenge when you can live a life of reduce clutter.

one other thing: garages are for autos, not storing crap in. I swear most people don't park in their garage anymore because it's stuffed full of crap!!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 am

Joe pretty much covered it all... I do a clean out of each room and closet once every couple months. Including drawers. My girls rooms get cleaned out (closets and toys) every other month. Toy storage is in their closets and in some wicker baskets right now. I try not to let them get too many toys (they don't play with them anyway).

We moved from a 1,700 sft house with a basement to a 1,900 sft house with no basement. so we had to consolidate and really decide what we needed. A lot of stuff that went was baby stuff.

I can't stand clutter so it is easy for me to part. I have a hard time even letting closets or drawers get disorganized. So it's a bit easier for me. you need to stay on top of it or it can get out of hand fast.

also, before Christmas and Birthdays we go through the kids things and donate to make "room" for anything new.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:04 am

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Joe:

We watch hoarders and Clean house :D We are by no means that bad. We are actually pretty average. Our big thing is we moved into our home recently. I feel relived that it took you a few years to get rid of the junk.

We have a 2.5 year old that needs a lot of attention and 6 month who equally needs attention. With us both working, it's taking us longer to make home improvements and de-clutter than we hoped. I am glad my 2 year old has a neat gene in her! She can't stand to be dirty or have things out of place and wants to clean up :D

Dani:

Great idea about "making room" before a holiday or birthday...trouble is that both my girls have December b-days so that'll only get me an annual "go through" LOL.. I understand about the limited square footage...One of my reasonings to my wife for us getting this house.

All:

As for the garage...I agree with you all. Mine is still a mess from moving, but it's slowly getting better....my thing is it's the limbo land for things I don't need but have yet to take to a charity resale shop.

It's funny..my parents are classic hoarders. They are hygienic, but pack as much clutter into their home as possible..I call it containerized clutter, because everything will be contained either in boxes or a specific part of the house, like a bedroom or the basement, so they can still have day to day functionality.

In way, they are my role models

---of what not to do----:P

...they are the ones that inspired me to try rid my home of all its "extra things"

My in laws are the opposite..they have no clutter, but also no decorations, or anything fun in their house.

My wife an I trying to find the happy middle ground.

If any of you have any great space saving MCM ideas / designs, feel free to send em my way.

thanks for your suggestions!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 pm

less is best. living in a small house feels great. even better: not having every room crammed with junk. I know many MCM owners get carried away with nick-nack collections. looks like they live in a vintage shop. I can't do that. drives me crazy.

every year you do taxes. Get that write-off by making regular trips to Goodwill and other charities to reduce clutter. if you have not used something that is not of sentimental value in a couple years, 86 it! Someone else can use it if you are not!

if someone truly suffers from hoarding, they need to seek therapy.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:33 pm

I've definitely been accused of being a neat freak. But, I can't help but despise clutter. I moved from a 1 room studio apartment (14 years there...which was a test in an anti-clutter lifestyle) to my current 1200sqft or so house, and it felt like SO much space. None the less, I don't "cram" anything.

To keep clutter down, I suggest using storage spaces only as they were intended. In other words...linens in the linen closet, coats in the coat closet, (as Joe suggested) only cars (and perhaps lawn implements) in the garage, laundry appliances and laundry in the utility room...and so on. For me, if I haven't used it in a year (and it is not an "I'm keeping it forever for sentimental reasons" item), I loose it.

A cluttered home (for me) makes for a clutter mind.

My 2 cents.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:34 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 pm

We have one simple rule: NOTHING NEW COMES IN UNLESS SOMETHING OLD GOES OUT.
This applies to furniture, accessories, art, books, even clothes.
(By *new* I mean new to us, and includes vintage stuff).

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 pm

resist buying anything that needs repair. No matter how handy
you might be.

Start with the kitchen. If an appliance is not used every day, it is
not on my counter. I don't use appliances. No toaster, microwave, etc.
Fortunately we have a pantry. A wall of sliders.
I shudder when i see a microwave on the counter...
Keeping the kitchen minimal is what makes it functional.
It clears my head and the surrounding rooms follow suit.

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:54 pm

This is a great thread.
I love the minimal look, but am obsessed with STUFF.
Its so hard (for me) to let go... Im also a deal hunter, so I pick cool things up with the intention of flipping but that rarely happens :roll: ...
I like the idea of putting rooms on a schedule for cleanout.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I like

Postby modfan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”