Earthquake insurance & retrofitting

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Earthquake insurance & retrofitting

Postby squeaky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm

KevinEP
Modern Master

Postby KevinEP » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 pm

if your house has been standing for 50+ years in SoCal, and it's still OK, I would not bother.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 am

15% deductible is actually pretty good; typically it's at least 20%, and only covers the main dwelling structure (pools, detached garages, fences, etc. are not covered).

I've heard the same story about structures on concrete slabs holding up better during quakes. I don't know how true it is, but it intuitively makes sense. If the slab cracks or splits, that won't mean the whole structure is going to come down.

Post-and-beam structures, I have also heard, handle earthquakes better than normal stick-built construction, the reasoning being that the lack of load-bearing walls would allow the building to "flex" better during a quake. Again, I can't recall my sources or, for that matter, their accuracy.

I am probably one of the few who around here who actually does carry earthquake coverage. My insurance carrier gives me a discount on my other policies for carrying it, so it winds up being about an extra $50 a month. At that price I figured what the heck, why not. I hate to say it, but considering how much I already pay for auto, home, life, and personal/professional liability insurance, I hardly even notice the difference.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Denial is fun sometimes, but insurance is even better!
Native Californian, and have always carried Quake insurance....gotta be crazy not to...with discounts, etc.

Not sure my own experience proves much, BUT...
our current 1960 slab built rode out 1999 6.5 shaker with no damage other than a few cracks in the colored pebble glass. No damage whatsoever to plaster or our unique brick fireplace/indoor bbq.

My last home, a 1959 post and beam on a steep wooded creekside fared very well less than 10 miles from the epicenter of the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake. Lost only the top of the chimney. Flood and landslide were always a more pressing concern.

The stick built 1971 tract home I grew up in took a serious hit in the north bay shaker of around 6.0 around 10 yrs ago. Total chimney failure (identical with every home in the development-felt sorry for the local store stocking firewood!) All of the sliding windows and doors had to be replaced as they were out of alignment, and the druwall work and re-work is still going on!

So yes-my experience is that slab is best, post and beam ok, and stick build not so hot. And insurance is pretty cool. Shop around-it's worth it!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Oh, and BTW, the San Andreas is expected to have a catastrophic failure within the next 35-years; the way things are going don't expect FEMA to have any assets...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”