epoxy floors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
62P&K
Modern Master

epoxy floors

Postby 62P&K » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm

anyone have epoxy flooring in their home?

looking for feedback on install pricing as well as maintenance. I heard from one source already that it shows scratches but everything I read says that its low-maintenance and designed for high-traffic areas.

i'm groovin' on this little shack with epoxy floors:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 ... how-3.html
Jennie and Zane

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan O. » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:23 am

I have no actual experience with epoxy floors in a home but did do some research into some industrial coatings for an unrelated project, this site has some info you may be interested in:

http://www.liquidfloors.com/blog/?p=151

Here at work there are high foot traffic sections in our parking garage/freight elevator areas that have been coated with some kind of really thick paint; it was done around a 1-1.5 years ago and it still looks wet. Though I'm pretty capable I would not consider a poured floor coating to be a DIY job nor entrust it to just anyone that did not come with an impressive resume, this would not exactly be like painting the garage floor. If there is a downside to this type of floor I'd say it's probably cost, other considerations would have to do with the flatness and condition of your current concrete floor.

I tend to compare all flooring options against VCT, and for the money, VCT always seems to win. If you damage a poured floor can it be seamlessly repaired? Should it happen to get scratched can it be polished? Does it cost more than $2/sq ft?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am

my guess is you'll maintain it like VCT, but it won't wear as well. just a hunch

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:03 pm

I had white epoxy terrazzo installed in my house a few years back. It is a very big job and not cheap either. Expect to pay way more than $2 per sq ft installed.

With that being said, I love my epoxy floors. They are easy to keep clean and everyone always comments on them.

It took almost a whole month to prep, install and grind/polish the floor for my entire house. You do not want to be staying in your house during that time, trust me....there will be dust everywhere.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”