birch doors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

birch doors

Postby dani » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:27 pm

We have all birch doors in our house, however they have been painted white. The trim in the house has been painted white also. I was wondering if anyone has stripped the doors only and left all the trim white??? if so were you happy with the results? I just feel we are overwhelmed by white, the only wood in the house is the beams and they run the length of the house, just 2 of them.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm

dani, you can attempt to strip your doors, but a new hollow core birch door, stain grade only run about $50 each at your local door maker. I replaced mine. pretty easy. if you take yours to the door maker, they size and dap each one to match the opening they came from.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 pm

When we got our house, all of the woodwork had been painted with white trim accents. I have since stripped and refinished all of the birch and left the white trim. Am I am huge fan of the white trim? No, but the restoration of the original wood doors has been a great addition to our house and has helped to warm the space, even if not 100% period correct.

If I had unlimited time and budget, of course I would strip all of the wood accents, but it is neither practical nor feasible. However, I have been happy with the results obtained even while keeping the white trim. Ideally, one might paint the trim the same color as the walls, but this becomes difficult when different colors are used, and keeping an idea of continuity is at play. It is a good idea to downplay bright white trim, make it more harmonious with the wall color. It has been said that white trim puts too much empahsis on the "framing" of a window or door, but so does stained trim. It's still a color (some shade of brown) and serves as some form of visual break from the wall color. I feel it's best to refinish as much of the original as possible while maintaining cohesion.

A couple of images of our space:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3213976878_137ef15ee5.jpg
[/img]

My neighborhood:

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:27 am

Love the space - esp the last pic, nice chair portrait
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:32 am

dani,

We replaced a couple of our birch bedroom doors and our kitchen pantry door that had damage with inexpensive luan hollow core slab doors from Lowes. They were only around $20 each, but this was a few years back. Used amber shellack to finish. They blend great with the originals that are still in place. Perhaps you could just replace?

I couldn't find a photo of one of the new doors hung, but here's a shot of 2 luan doors bonded together for a project drying in our garage...

I think wwilber's house with the nice wood doors against the white trim is much warmer than all white would be. That's probably how I'd go. Perhaps stripping the trim later? Or, paint the trim a color similar to the stained door color. Before selling my wife's previous home, her & I painted it's beautiful wooden stair case and the rails (which, unfortunately, had been painted flat gray by previous owners...go figure?) a dark rich glossy brown to "suggest" stained wood. It worked quite well.

Good luck!

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 pm

We are looking at refinishing our slab (plan A) in the next few months. So I think that the birch doors will bring some warmth to the house. I know that one or 2 will need to be replaced since the veneer is chipped on some corners. Good to know that can be done. We have 4-5 free months in the winter that we can work so we are just getting some project priorities in line.

I do really like the look of the birch with white trim, thanks for the pics!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”