Fence/Wood Screen

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fence/Wood Screen

Postby dani » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

We are looking to put a screen or fence between our garage and house. I was going to attach some photos, but realized flickr took the html out of their site for now... ugh. so I will attach my flickr link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfdtechbuilt/

The fence will be a pass through, 2 screens so to say. Just looking for input as far as style. Vertical or Horizontal boards? Pics? links? any would be helpful. Our original plans show a fence here between the 2 walks (front and service), they however do not give specs for it.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:23 pm

scowsa

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:43 pm

THANKS... why do sites need to change things LOL

this is the area from the Garage (left) to the house (right) our access walk and all utilities will then be hidden. this will give all emphasis to the front door as you come up the walk not the distractions to the left :)

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Dani, do you follow Jenn Ski? (she's "Design_Ski") on flickr?
She did a cool fence-
http://jennskistudio.blogspot.com/2010/ ... tures.html

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Dani, do you follow Jenn Ski? (she's "Design_Ski") on flickr?
She did a cool fence-
http://jennskistudio.blogspot.com/2010/ ... tures.html

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:59 pm

I would suggest two sections, from each structure out, offset for passage. I would make them as read as shoji screens.
In other words, like this:

tab over darn it !!!!!!! x-------------------
x
x
x
x
-------------------------x

Rather than this:

_____________ xxxxxxxxx ______________

x indicated opening. I'm having a hard time "drawing with a keyboard.
It doesn't post like I want. in a post, all lines of text align left. I don't know
how to get the first line of my first screen to start over, thus the tab comment.

What would really help, is some photos more straight on each structure, so we would have an idea of what's on each wall where. Stuff like vents, doorways, windows. Is the planter new? It should be worked into the screen plan. Relocate if necessary. I remember a custom MCM one of my dad's friends owned. At the rear of the backyard was a long narrow raised planter with a screen to the back and above it. It was framed wood with flat fiberglass panels mounted. (like the corrugated stuff, only flat) It was milky white and hid a parking area off the alley. Another popular MCM screen was reed fencing, mounted with the sticks horizontal. Sometimes the fencing was cut to fit between 4X4 posts spaced between 24"-35" apart. (more wouldn't be strong enough)

By the way, I had the same experience with Flickr. I somehow went into my profile and changed to "classic" or whatever they called the previous version. All the changes have to do with setting up security with respect to photo ownership and use. You have to specify more than just whether the photos are private or publicly viewable. You have to now say "I own this photo" and/or "only I can link to it"

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 pm

EGADS... exactally like the first "drawing" is what I am thinking. I will see if I have pics. The planter is being disassembled and moved to use as a small retaining wall, off the left front of the garage. I think you can see in the first pic there is an electric outlet and a dryer vent, I was thinking coming in between those.... as for the other screen, on the other side there is nothing but I was thinking about coming off the corner of the garage. We pretty much have the layout down, just the design of the fence is lingering. The walk through will be large squares of stone.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:47 pm

HERE this helps A LOT!!!! they are reversed views from how I took the pics. of course on the plan north is up and I took the pics looking south, but you can grasp the layout better. as you can see on the left of the plan our dryer is in the utility room so the vent is on the outside. the outlet on the outside is about 8" from the dryer vent, we can always move or cover the outlet since we don't use it. on the garage wall where the screen will go, there is nothing. again the planter is relocating, so to say. the fence marked to the south of the area was never installed either and we are not planning on anything right now, possibly future....

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:49 pm

You can also lap the two a little beyond the opening. This will edit views better. Also, unless the new fence/screen is the same material as the house, I would set the garage side back a little. 4-6" is enough if it reads as a separate element.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:36 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”