Gamble House

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gamble House

Postby classic form » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Stopped by the Gamble house last Sunday on an off the cuff drive by and just missed getting inside with a group that was on a private tour (I was too early for the 1200 opening and couldn't return later) but, WOW...just seeing the outside was thrilling. I've seen plenty of images but once again, there's nothing like seeing architecture in person to really knock you back. I've been here (Calif.) many times but have never been to Pasedena before now, I'll have to spend more time there someday, looks like there is much to see.

Anyone else a fan? I think that I was probably turned on to the place right here at LL in the first place (or maybe Wrightchat, not sure).

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Gamble House

Postby Josquin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:30 pm

There really isn't anything like seeing the real thing. The Gamble house has been a great inspiration on a number of projects and still inhabits my thoughts. I live nearby, so I've been many times and I sometimes go to the special events. It's a shame you didn't get to see the inside; it's quite spectacular.

Did you see Wright's La Miniatura down the road?

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:09 am

Probably drove right past it. Had no idea it was there. Visiting the Gamble house was spur of the momement, we drove to Pasedena, picked an exit and got lucky, only about a mile away from the house, asked someone leaving their bungalow where it was. I was with my 86 year old Aunt, we drove around the neighborhood a bit after seeing it but she was starting to feel her age so we didn't stay around long.

Now I'm in East LA working, fly home Thursday, if you have anything around here I shouldn't miss let me know:)

Josquin

Gamble House

Postby Josquin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks Josquin, I just got out of work and am beat so I don't think I'll have the time I thought I would on this visit. I'll be back more than likely in the near future so I'll be bumping this thread when I do...thanks again.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”