What kind of flooring is this?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What kind of flooring is this?

Postby Tim Young » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:52 am

Anyone know what this is?

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 am

That's the Farnsworth house by Mies van der Rohe by the way. I read something that said the floors were precast concrete? Is that a stamped pattern?

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 am

It looks like a travertine to me. Is that really the Farnsworth house? I didn't think it was that close to a major road. But I've never been there.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:51 am

definitely not the farnsworth house

and yes it is travertine (which the farnsworth house also has)

*edit* two minutes of research and i'm 95% sure that image is one of his chicago apartment buildings (860-880 lake shore drive):

Last edited by FRaC on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:53 am

It does appear to be travertine. Was just at the Farnsworth house this spring, here is one of my photos showing the travertine floor which is used both inside and out.

My neighborhood:

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:05 am

OK, this is going to sound off-topic but it's not.

Ever have one of those cartoon light bulbs appear magically over your head? I just did !

I grew up in a 1972 tract house typical of northern CA. And we had the absolute UGLIEST flooring in the kitchen and den. A 12" very hard white tile with this weird black linear pattern of gougey spots. Everything got stuck in there, dirt included. I was even more fascinated to find this applied to the ceiling of our church, which admittedly looked like a rejected Safeway building.

I mean, this stuff was useless and oh-so-ugly. The penny just dropped for me. They meant for it to look like...van der Rowe's travertine.
WTH. I just never expected such a leap. Cause it really, really didn't.

'Scuse me while I blow my mind.....

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 am

S&G -

We had that same hideous tile in our ca. 1967 faux-adobe house in Albuquerque. I turned five the year we moved there and always imagined that worms had damaged the tile. Of course, that house also had red shag carpet in the living room and a powder room with walls and ceiling covered in burlap. The worm tile was something of a relief in comparison.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 am

Yeah, sorry - the image is from the Lake Shore Drive Apartments. It was in a flickr group with the Farnsworth house so I just assumed that's where it was from. Here's the original link with the caption that I didn't read close enough:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31106404@N07/4750789931/

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey, that's what all the old Home Savings buildings are clad with! SHAZAM!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”