bathroom brainstorming

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

bathroom brainstorming

Postby dani » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, we have a ton of projects going. but in the middle of stripping wallpaper in the hall bath, I realized, we had not decided what to do with it next. So far the vanity has been stripped of paint and resurfaced. I would like to keep the counter and the sink. The rest I am open to. The floors will be concrete as the rest of the house (in a very short time). The shower tile also has to come out, the drywall is deteriorating behind it. So, it all needs to go down to the studs and get a fresh start.

One thing I am contemplating, what tile and how much?? do I just cut it off at the shower only? (how it is now) or should I tile more than the 3 shower walls? or higher? I am really leaning toward a "white" bathroom, so the vanity and fixtures are complemented more.

I am going to replace the cabinet knobs, as soon as I find something I like.

Here are some pictures I took today... the last is a picture of the doorway, the exposed beam runs above it, this will be stripped and oiled.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

oh, and this is one I really like........ It's just simple, but I like the orange accent screen in it too.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:04 am

Good luck with the changes - bathrooms are always full of challenges.
I LOVE concrete unfortunately I have discovered that whenever I am in a store with concrete floors my back begins to ache really fast - and I am only 40 and not yet decrepit! Anyway, I guess I need to live with hardwood flooring.
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:16 am

scowsa

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 pm

So you are keeping the sandy beige sink, toilet & tub? I honestly like the existing tile. I would even be inclined to match it. That sandy beige is about as MCM as it gets. Reminds me of the stock color of phones and phone wire of the era. It's neutral. I'm not sure I'd like a lot white tile with that tub. Kind of goes against the whole idea of having colored fixtures. In terms of where to end the tile, I think higher, perhaps to the top of the low ceiling and then out at 90 degrees would be best. You could go a course beyond the tub. This helps with water damage to the walls by the tub base. But I would not put tile everywhere.

Have you considered using the screen pattern you like as a stencil on a shower curtain? Is this the kid's bath? That would make a difference.

Also, a new mirror, sized to fit the vanity, holes cut for the lights would really make a difference. New fluorescent fixtures with frosted glass would be nice.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:48 pm

well, the wall paper is about off. Now seeing the wall, I doubt it was anything other than wall paper. It is a little rough in some spots, so I am not sure what we will do in there. there are also some patched holes so they are a different texture too.

I would like to keep the beige tub, toilet and sink. I do like the tile, but here is the problem.... it's hard to tell in the pictures but the tile makes the others look pink. So, I'm trying to say away from the pink cast. It's just a hard call on what to put in that won't make them "pink"

I really like the "idea" of a stencil... wall or curtain. It is a kids bath I suppose, but the "main" bath of the house for visitors.

I found a tile at home depot the other day, special order. They were the same size as the tiles I have now. They were white.... not a harsh white, with flecks of gold and silver (like the 60's tiles)... they were shaped like pillows, a "puffy" texture. I am still kinda stuck on them. I like the idea of a different texture.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 am

Well, we ended up deciding to salvage the floor and the shower tile. We had extra in the garage attic. So we started to disassemble the shower and find out how much water damage was behind the shower. We ended up with about a 3x3 area that needed removal of the greenboard. It had wicked up water from improper caulking and the green board was resting on the tub, wicking it up. We did find that 2 of the tiles that were around the spout had cracked from all the pressure of the buckling.

Well we got all set to lay the spare tile, and noticed that it was a slightly different color. come to find out, the tile in our master bath is a slightly different shade. The other color in the box was a darker more brown color. I am assuming this was the kitchen floor tile that was in the house originally. Well there were only 4 pieces of the tile we needed, and the were all cut scrap pieces, so we scraped all the mortar, mold and thin set off the old tiles and put them up. We had to do a lot of puzzle piecing to get them back on the way they came off. We ended up cutting the 4 extra tiles into perfect rectangles and centering them under the spout, it was the only way we would have enough tile.

We are now hanging towel bars back up and fixing the shower curtain. I need to still decide on the light fixtures and the mirror, if I will keep those or not, but for now they stay.

I'll post pics when we are all assembled again :)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:42 pm

better you than me. I am still looking for a contractor. I guess nobody likes small bathroom jobs.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 am

these are the before pictures:

during........... all these tiles were not square by the way, all were just slightly different. and different thicknesses.

90% done, need to switch out the cabinet pulls when I find something I love, maybe a new mirror and light fixtures. I still need to put up the shower curtian. Other than that, we are done :) The shower tile, is not perfect.... but for what we had to work with, it turned out just fine :) The vanity was stripped then refinished.

WiscoUsonIan
Modern Socialite

Postby WiscoUsonIan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:17 am

Dani, Looking good!
View my documentation blog:

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:53 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”