back deck handrails

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
markjudep
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

back deck handrails

Postby markjudep » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Anyone know where we could buy handrails for our back deck like the ones in this clip from "The Ice Storm"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aplxgga6kSY

I'm sure they're custom, but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Perhaps no glass at all in those? Hard to tell. If there is glass, it's well integrated. One would have to have detailed photos. I have toured modern houses from the 30's through the 50's that had railing like that without any glass or wire or anything. Codes have changed. In one case, the owners had mounted plexiglass to the rails with U bolts. (they had little kids and one balcony was a 60' drop! But even inside, an open stair rail also had that treatment. I liked it because it was so reversible.

I do know that there are wrought iron guys who specialize in doing gates that could fabricate stuff like that. You might try a metals supplier. Ask them who buys 3" pipe stock. The way those are done is to weld the straight pieces to elbows I think. Much grinding is then done to smooth out the welds. Then many coats of metal primer and machine paint. If they go into a slab, a concrete coring drills holes that are a little bigger than the post and then they get filled. Schools and parking lots have barriers like that. I don't know how you would mount then cleanly to a wooden deck.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:35 am

A good metal fabrication shop can make those for you - you need to provide very precise measurements with drawings of how the joints should be welded. It's cheaper if you grind down the welds yourself and prime/paint yourself. Or you can hire someone to do this for you but it may be hard to find a qualified contractor.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:05 pm

You can make rough measurements and drawings for a fabricator or contractor to provide you with a bid. This helps them understand the scope of work and gives them the ability to roughly estimate the amount of material they will need for the project.

Unless you do not care about precision I would have the fabricator or contractor come out and field measure and maybe even provide you with shop drawings before they put anything together. Some shops don't do shop drawings or will charge you extra but the shop drawing is basically your way of confirming their understanding of your design intent.

As noted else where the codes have changed. Most jurisdictions require that the handrail prevent a 4" sphere from passing from the protected side to the unprotected side. If the deck is existing you are probably grandfathered in and don't need to go through the plan-check process. If it is a proposed deck and going to go through the plan-check process you will most likely not pass with those handrails if they are required.

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks. I will definitely take that 4-foot sphere rule into consideration. Not sure "The Ice Storm" house's back handrails would pass that test.

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:23 pm

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:28 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:10 am

So does a baby falling into a ravine. The spacing is basically the same as a crib.

When I was on a tour that included Case Study house 22, someone asked Mrs Stahl about raising children on the edge of a cliff. She said they told them to stay away, and they did. (her daughter and granddaughter were living with her at the time)

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Our house was designed for a gay couple in the late '50s, and it's not the least bit child-friendly. I'd like to keep it that way, but the insurance company won't let me.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Post (or link to) some pictures of the deck you are trying to protect and we will all have some suggestions for you.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 pm

simple custom tubular railing. start by looking in your yellow pages for a rail fabricator. The rail in the movie has no glass.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”