LQQking for a room divider/screen

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

LQQking for a room divider/screen

Postby clarksdaleplace » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 am

Hey all - I am looking for a room divider screen thingy that I need to go over our built in bookshelf / planter up to the ceiling. There used to be one there - I can see the screw holes - but it was removed at some point.
Does anyone know of a place online or in the Dallas area that might help us out?
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Your Blog

Postby eggMCMuffin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 pm

I can't offer any help with finding a divider, but I have to acknowledge this quote from your blog: "Yes..... I removed the louvered doors. I was left exhausted."-- Awesome.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:59 am

I was spent!!!

Here is a pic of the planter/bookshelf that needs a divider on top to go up to the ceiling

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 am

We were leasing a house until August that had a similar planter wall. The solid top wall has a wrought iron screen above and the planter wall had two suspended globe lights. You may need to find a carpenter to custom build something if you want shelves.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 pm

I would have to say that, based on other details in your house, I bet the screen was a lot like one in janelom's. More Hollywood Regency* than MCM.
Are you planning to have plants? This something you will have to have made.
What and how depends on what look you are looking for. There are some good examples of display types if you do some searches here using terms like "divider" or "screen"
Here's the best advice I have: Never fight what your house is, even if it's not exactly your favorite. Making a place the best of what it is will be the most successful. It means making compromises & showing off some talent instead of just following a formula. One has to do some research and study old images until you "get" the elements that make it work. For instance, in janeloms photo, the MCM furniture pieces work because they are sleek in an ocean liner deco way. More Memphis than case study.

*This is really an interior design term more than an architectural one. But what I am referring to is a mix of modern, deco and classic Georgian elements.

http://williamhaines.com/

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 pm

FWIW the owner of the house has photos from the early 60's showing the orginal owner's furniture. On the other side of the planter wall was a upright piano. It's not something I would have thought of but it looked great and if I owned the house I would seriously considered buying a piano for that spot. Then I would make my son take piano lessons even though he probably won't want to.

Our furniture looked great in that house. It looks crappy in our new house though. So I agree you have to stay with the overall look and feel and not go against the house's style.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 pm

You should be able to find a company that specializes in Iron fabrication. just about anything can be made. Was the original a full panel or just an end panel that went from the planter to ceiling? I kind of like the end panel with taller plants in the planter rather than shelves. Then the light would be allowed through.... just my 2 cents :)

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 pm

I am with egads- have something made. You could do a lot without going against the style of your house.

My divide has no planter. Instead it has 5 verticle poles which form the screen. One of these days, I am going to have a carpenter take out the poles and put in a set of irregular shelves.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks for all the tips folks.
I think the original was an iron screen like the other pic in the thread - i base this on the screw holes in the planter. I don't think I will go for shelves but some sort of decorative and open item to keep the room open and light.
We are trying to accentuate the MCM touches in the house and we know that it will never be the super mod home that we would like to evolve to, but I think there is a way to emphasize the MCM without having it look out of place in teh house.
THe most interesting thing is how our old furniture - dining and cabinet - look horrible in the new space. so we are going to have to work with that down the line.
we saw something interesting in a hair salon in deep ellum - metal frame with colored plexi glass squares - something i think I can make. There will be much experimentation I think
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”