outet for electric wall clock?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CanadianViking
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

outet for electric wall clock?

Postby CanadianViking » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:40 am

I've been meaning to ask the community about this for some time but now that I'm back working in our kitchen (backsplash), I thought now would be a good time.

Per the link above, we have an electrical outlet built in to the millwork in our kitchen. As you can see, the 2-prong connection is inset and there is a small hook at the top of the outlet. I would imagine this was for an electric wall clock? that would make the most sense given the location (centered in the millwork, above the sink). I've actually had it covered with a plate up to now, but would like to search for a proper MCM electric clock.

Given the way the 2-prong is inset, it would appear that the clock may have been almost a direct insert (ie: no cord, just 2-prongs on the back of the clock that would insert into the outlet), but I've never seen anything like that so I can't be sure. Any suggestions from the community on where I should start looking? what would the key search words be? I did a quick search and there are many nice MCM electric wall clocks out there, but they all have cords (which really wouldn't work in this location).

Thanks!

[/list]

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 am

I grew up with a clock attached to such an outlet. The cord was short, maybe 3-6" just enough to plug it in and place it onto the hook. A cord can easily be shortened. In fact, I bet the old clocks came with longer cords and were all shortened for use in such an outlet. This type of plug is still available in a grounded version. They are used in droves behind flat panel displays.

Your best search term for such clocks is:

Telechron

They made the clock from my youth and the one in my Western Holly port hole oven. The mechanisms of the stove clocks and wall ones used in kitchens tended to get so gummed up they just stopped working. There is a very active restoration community. You can also find a contemporary fake that is battery operated, and just hang it over the whole. I remember that kitchen clock being noisy.

CanadianViking
Modern Fan

Postby CanadianViking » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 am

thank you! Telechron was the magic word, a quick search found an online community (www.telechron.net), I should be able to find some more information there.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 pm

I had one of those in my old apartment. The building was a classic MidMod highrise.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Telechrons aren't that hard to work on, you just have to be confident in what you're doing: there's a book that shows how to work on them, well, the International Register clocks, but they work EXACTLY the same way!

http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/howto.htm

I found an old GE wall clock with a bezel made of plastic: I panted it light blue to match the sweep hand, the sweep hand was blue of all colors, and I gotta tell ya, it looks boss!
The secret of the motors is the flywheel; it gets oxidized, ie, rusty or dirty and you need to pull it off, very carefully, and clean it. It's an electromagnetic motor, the flywheel is made of aluminum, but it has a steel band on the inside, that's the part to clean. If the motor is noisy, it probably needs a good cleaning and new clean lubrication on the bushings. Spray the clock gears down with carburetor cleaner, and put some oil in the holes where the pinion gears are...
Um, I hope I didn't confuse you?
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”