slider window drapes

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

slider window drapes

Postby Planner Dude » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm

I have slider windows that are obviously wider than they are tall.

My wife has put up drapes in the kids' rooms (girls) with a white drape and colored drapes on the sides. We have cellular blinds in the windows which look great by themselves. I have expressed my desire to use the blinds only (maintain a clean, minimal look), but she mentions that they are little girls rooms and wants the drapes that serve no real function other than look girly.

To me these look funny because they are much longer than the windows themselves. They drape down maybe 1.5 times the window height. They look like they belong traditional (more vertically shaped windows). They do not reach the floor of the room however (about halfway).

Am I just being silly or do you think such drape treatments should be trimmed back to match the height of the window (maybe to the sash), if used at all?

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:08 am

I think hemming the curtains so they are the same length as the window opening would be a good compromise. That way your wife and girls get the color, but the window is still treated correctly. You could also consider sourcing some vintage or vintage-look fabric, maybe in a barkcloth, and do it up right!
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:29 am

I have 2 little girls. One of them LOVES girly things. but ruffles and sparkles don't go real well in a modern house. Their window treatments are simple, just blinds. The have a retro robins egg blue wall with red accents in the room. It's very simple, but still girly. I found some vintage aprons that hang on the wall by their play kitchen. It adds fun fabric. With girls rooms you need to get creative.

Their kitchen

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”