opinions needed on a rug

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

dani
Modern Master

opinions needed on a rug

Postby dani » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am

I am having a REAL hard time finding rugs for the house. The living room has been esp. hard. I need something large. A 12'x9' would be PERFECT. Most everything I find is 8x10.

We are going to look at one tonight, the size is perfect, but I am on the fence about the pattern. It's a bit Persian. Although I have seen quite a few of them like it in MCM homes. What is your take on it? The colors are perfect also. We are in the never ending process of switching out all our furniture to more appropriate vintage. Not everything will end up MCM, but most likely an eclectic mix. We seem to be drawn toward all wood pieces, teak esp. so that will be what furniture will be down the road.

here is the rug. It was brought to the US 6 months ago. It came from an antiques dealer in Switzerland.

Last edited by dani on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17 am

I like it. I don't think any style looks better.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 am

I would not focus on the rug design specifically, rather how it fits in the overall room design. if it works, great.

sometimes a piece works, sometimes not.

rugs are tough. I do like some of Angela Adams, in the right application.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

scowsa

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 pm

True orientals are definitely period appropriate MCM.....
I grew up with em! I only have one or two of the excellent quality ones from my family home, but the good ones go with an awful lot, and I echo how easy they are to care for.

I hear some folks on wanting something with less pattern, but it makes a big difference with kids/pets/living. Orientals with natural woods is a very common theme in genuine MCM for a reason.

If you decide you want to look at some more graphic rugs, this place has been WONDERFUL for us. They have some basic stuff that is fun and bright and cheap for kids rooms, but also some lovely modern graphic things. The upfront prices can be up there, but if you tab their clearance and watch it regularly, you may find bargains like we did. Our beautiful 5x8 wool fireworks rug was less than $300 with free shipping.

or...http://www.rugstudio.com/SafaviehSohoSO ... MULTI.aspx

RugStudio's site:
http://www.rugstudio.com/

And their GREAT clearance section:
http://rugs.rugstudio.com/search?p=Q&lb ... &view=grid

I like the oriental for your place. Good luck!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:06 am

I like your choice, dani. For folks whose homes tilt to toward the organic style of modernism, Navajo rugs offer another path - though it's certainly not for everyone! Here are a couple of examples:

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Well, we got it.... it's awesome and I love it :)

need to take pictures, but it's gloomy, rainy and foggy here... no light :( so I will next time it's sunny. Thanks for the opinions!!!!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”