Gen Y doesn't want McMs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Gen Y doesn't want McMs

Postby clarksdaleplace » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 am

Kind of a dumb article - these kids have no home buying power yet and they are assuming designs based on that and them not having kids - the Y'ers have no idea how much kids will change things. But as long as they can play their Wii's who cares right?
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/no-mc ... nials.html
Cheers
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scowsa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm

scowsa

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm Gen Y and live in a Cliff May. I'm a Realtor and have had several Gen Y clients, most of whom had a preference towards homes of "interesting" design. That didn't always mean MCM but most wanted something other than a stucco box.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

WiscoUsonIan
Modern Socialite

Postby WiscoUsonIan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 am

I'm also a Gen "Y"er...Purchased a Usonian style home. I understood the need to a house that fit my needs, had only a little more space than needed and a great gathering and entertaining space. No huge home here, They are expensive to heat, upkeep, and pay for...not fun. I must say that I also walk to work like others requested within the article. Clarksdale, you may have missed the point on this.

I agree it is somewhat of a dumb article but i agree with Stephen, They are talking about spaces that are unique, unlike most of houses built within the Gen Y time that are nearly identical, not unique. They are talking about all the houses that these kids grew up in, where if they get lost in their neighborhood they have 30 other houses build on nearly the same plans of theirs and the only way to find home is to remember the pattern of similar homes. All kidding aside though living ideas and styles change as do the seasons, I believe we will be seeing new methods to build organic, efficient, and purposed houses in the future...and with all of those design must be considered.
View my documentation blog:

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm a Y too. and I love my MCM... but I'm a very mature, practical minded Y'er so maybe that makes the difference.

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:11 pm

The artical painted a picture in my mind that these youngsters just want the same spaces and conveniences they've grown accustom to in the dorms they spent the last 4yrs in...
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

As a Realtor in Houston I found a lot of the things not to be as true here. I can agree with not wanting the formal living room. In the MCM houses though, it is usually more open than the traditional houses & it isn't so much of an issue. In the more traditional layouts you find people removing walls to open up the space. I have read elsewhere that people don't have time to spend in the big soaker tub yet many of the women buyers, Gen Y, X or beyond, I find wanting a tub. As for wanting to walk places, yes, I understand that and I think younger people do like that, but for people in Houston that falls neatly into a category with people in hell wanting ice-water. Oh sure, there are some islands of walkability here and there, but we are a car-dependent city, it is what it is.

I agree with others that it boils down to most wanting a home with character, be it an MCM, an arts and crafts bungalow, or something else with personality.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Gen Y doesn't want McMs

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:16 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 am

I just re-read the article and I don't see anything in it that indicates that "Gen Y don't want MCMs"...

If anything most good MCM design would fit more into what they are looking for than the current McMansion. It sounds to me like they want larger gathering rooms, like living, den, etc, smaller halls and bedrooms. Most of the MCM homes I've had the fortune to experience fit those requirements quite nicely. The real "deal killa" is location - most MCMs are in suburban areas and not to be found in towns or in developments where you can walk to grocery, etc. - also, most of those in this region have yards that require maintenance - but in reality those are demands from any home found in the burbs.

That article instead supports more the idea that the McMansion era is over - something I wholeheartedly support. Just my 2 centivos.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 am

What we have here is failure to communicate.

The OP references "McM", which I take as being an abbreviation for a McMansion. We're used to seeing MCM -- for mid-century modern.

Back to your scheduled programming.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

actually

Postby modfan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 pm

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”