Suggetions for my NorCal MCM hybrid interior

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mod' i-fy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Suggetions for my NorCal MCM hybrid interior

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 am

Ops just realized this should have been in the furniture forum sorry, moderators please..

Well I'm pretty much done. We came from a huge suburban McMansion type (my wife loved it) down to a 1200 sq ft MCM in the bay area (my love) due to a transfer of employment. Needless to say we had to get rid of a ton of furniture because of less living space. For furniture and style I had to compromise and keep a slight neo-ecclectic-classic style (from our past McM) within my MCM style to keep the wife pleased since she made such a drastic sacrafice from what she prefered. This has been my greatest challange yet, so far though she's very happy with what I came up with but I think I could sneek in more with certain changes here and there but not sure where. What-cha think any other ideas?

NOTE: I'm unable to ditch the rug since she loves it so much so I had to do what I could to work with it.

sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. :cry:

1. the living room

2. from living room looking toward the kitchen

3. eat in nook area of the kitchen, its a small kitchen so the wife wanted something for four but didn't take up much room and be out of the way. This is what I came up with.

4. the rest of the kitchen, will be changing the cabnet knobs and pulls soon.

Still many small changes to make i.e. plant pots, changing and relocating some pictures (the big abstact in the kithen to another blk and white city scape pic) and a few other things.
Last edited by Mod' i-fy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 pm

We are in some what of the same process. I now have my husband on board and it is much easier. We are FAR from done with swapping furniture, but it will be a fun couple of years looking for it.

I think you could drastically change the style with just changing out some of the pots on the plants. adding a few wool throws and pillows with vintage or vintage like upholstery to the room would do wonders too.

I really don't mind the rug....

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm

The problem with rugs like that is they need to be real hand made middle eastern ones. Those get expensive fast. Yours seems too small to anchor a seating group.
I would also paint the base the same as the dark walls, eliminate that white stripe. I imagine the wall color was another compromise with the wife. In a MCM house, a strong color would have been limited to one "feature" wall.

The big abstract is the best piece of art I see. What is above the sofa and why is it so high?

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Mod' i-fy,

I had a similar situation when my wife and I married and moved into the MCM I'd just purchased and renovated. She was coming from an old Victorian type place. I made my case by explaining to her that I don't believe everything in the world has to be mid-century modern. I love ALL kinds of homes and different types of architecture. But, that THIS house happens to call for a MCM approach when it comes to the decor. I also turned her onto to all my books on MCM'ism so she could develop an eye for it. After that, I made every effort to include her in helping find furniture, accent pieces, etc.... That way, we would be discovering things like that together. Rather than me finding a bunch of stuff, then running it by her.

Regarding your place, here are my suggestions. Keep in mind, it's just what I might do...

I'd go with white walls throughout, using rugs, artwork, furniture, etc. for color. We did this and it helped unify the house as one large continuous space. It also really makes our woodwork pop. Might help make that baseboard you have 'blend' away.

I'd loose the ceiling fan. I just don't like them in a MCM home. Just my choice, though. I know they serve a useful purpose.

I agree with Joe about the furniture, but in my case just the kitchen table. It kinda says "Dwell" instead of "vintage modern"

I'd also replace the kitchen flooring something more suitable. It kinda looks like glossy fake marble in the photo. Hard to tell. Also, I'd loose the frilly sink window treatment.

Another suggestion for the kitchen...you might consider replacing all the door and draw fronts with flat smooth ones (ie: no raised molding). We did that and it dramatically changed the look of our kitchen. It was not real expensive (around $1100, I believe).

Before...
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... before.jpg

After...
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... en1_lg.jpg

I like the artwork in the kitchen. I agree with egads, the artwork over the couch is too high. Looks like you may have just centered it on the wall (even vertically?). I would nestle down over the couch. I like the couch, btw. And rug is cool too.

Changing the pots out on all those plants might help a bit. They do make architectural type modern pots, but they can be pricey. We just decided consistency was enough. So, ALL ours are in those terra-cotta type pots that are easily found (when you need another) and inexpensive. We have 2 large ones (on the floor) that have multiple plants in them creating a kind of indoor planter effect, which were often found in period modern homes. We also made one planter kind of suggest a more modernist look by gluing to pots together...

Hope all that is helpful. Your house looks cool. How about some exterior photos?

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:06 am

For some reason, it posted twice?
http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks so much guys I'm loving all the suggestions as its helping me with
the MCM element of the two rooms. Personally I love the MCM style when coupled with a modern contemporary elements most, hence what you see developing. My goal is not to create a complete throw back to the 50's era nor a time capsule, its fun to look at but we simply can't live in that environment. The colored walls are all me, soft earth tones soothes my soul and I need them in my life when glass walls aren't present. White walls are too lifeless/sterile/cold for me (personal preference) and of course goes against all things MCM when it comes to interior wall coverings.

The base boards I agree they will be painted, I just haven't gotten around to them yet they went on last (walls painted/ floor refinished/then base boards)

The "Dwell" kichen table/chairs :D was a compromise we both agreed on to maximize space. The Kicthen floors will be replaced (I hate it) but the budget says deal with it for now.

The ceiling fan, an absolute MUST trust me....

Getting into this look I had to ask myself...
Whats the purpose if your not comfortable, and who says it can't be altered to fit ones personal tastes as opposed to being enslaved to its boundries, and so I put the text books down and went with my feelings. It feels good :wink:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”