MCM Development Re-Doing Entryway

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
corky0770
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM Development Re-Doing Entryway

Postby corky0770 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:30 am

I live in SW Florida, we have a small mid-century modern development. Most houses are still very well kept in the mid century style with minor updates. I am in charge of repainting the entry way and was looking for some ideas. Right now it's a beige with a black font. The below is a link of what it looks like, I'm going to take some photos and try to show the whole entry. It's an S-curve with some plantings on both sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some of the suggestions I have received are a bright earthtone. I was thinking maybe a brick red with silver letters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corky0770/
:D
Last edited by corky0770 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG from North Jersey to South Florida

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 am

The link supplied is to a realtor's web site with two homes for sale. No pictures of the entry way you mention.
scowsa

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:28 am

I think the "River Forest" sign on the block wall are what corky is talking about.
Here's what I think: the font of the lettering is not very MCM and I'm not sure you can make it any better with color alone.

corky0770
Modern Groupie

Postby corky0770 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Yes that's what I was talking about, I have to get some better photos. I'm open to changing the font. Any suggestions?

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Do you have a shot of the entire wall/sign? If the wall is large and not easily changed, perhaps the answer is to have a smaller sign made to place on the wall. It could be in a quasi-googie shape, with the "River Forest" in a more modern font.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:32 pm

OK, so using the bricks as measure, a standard brick is 8" L x 2.25" H, so we are looking at individual letters over 9" H.

This is the company I bought my house #s from and they also sell letters in a wide range of fonts, including MCM types like Futura or Neutra.

scowsa

corky0770
Modern Groupie

Postby corky0770 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 am

I added my photo stream to the original post and here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corky0770/

Also wondering, what type of material for the letters: acrylic, wood, metal?

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Corky, while the photos provide more info, they obviously raise questions.

As a first time "visitor" I can see the Hertz office and retail stores so it would appear that any use of signage to convey an MCM feel would likely get lost.

We have had photos of the entrances to MCM housing developments posted here but the visitor would then immediately be seeing the houses.

What exactly is your community hoping to achieve in repainting, and possibly, re-signing, the entry way?
scowsa

corky0770
Modern Groupie

Postby corky0770 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 pm

We're just trying to update the look of the entry. There are plans to improve the landscaping too. The home owners association was inactive for the past few years and they have started up again since new people have moved in(me being one of them). We just want to freshen it up. The development was here way before the Hertz and the Ethan Allen but not much we can do about that now. Basically I'm looking for ways of updating the look, the beige wall and font really just don't fit in my mind.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 am

Personally I would lose the lettering completely and replace with a san-serif font. If you can scale down the text size there are SS letters available at Home Depot (they they are Helvetica) with "stilts" to offset them from the brick (not sure how well this will work on a curved wall though). If you or someone you know has some design skills, use a good photo, photoshop out the old letters then apply the new. You can then experiment with the background (brick color), etc.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”