Opinions on exterior paint, please

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

badcarburetor
Modern Fan

Opinions on exterior paint, please

Postby badcarburetor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:30 pm

This is a rather unique 1961 that my husband I recently purchased. It's a very cool place inside, high ceilings, flowing layout and several other touches that gave it enough of an MCM vibe for me.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to paint/decorate the outside.

Currently the primary color of the home is a washed out green. We are thinking take it further towards an avocado. We want to do the door in a coral color and would love to work in some orange highlights somewhere, but we're not sure where, especially if we do go with coral for the door.

That sunken center area has a wall of cedar shingles.

Shoot away and thanks!

[img]
by , on Flickr[/img]

[img]
by , on Flickr[/img]

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm

I'd wipe the front clean and start from scratch with
regards to the landscape. Such as Dan did, a fellow LL member.
Get creative but don't go nuts, because as you can see from below,
the simpler the better. If those shingles are flat and you want them off the house, utilize them elsewhere. Similar to Dan's low wall construction.
Colors work perfect too.......

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 pm

make sure all the white trim goes, it's kind of distracting and hard to find the front door. Which ever door color you choose, make sure it is bright. This will allow for the door to be located easier. Colors are hard, esp. on the exterior. I'm kind of on the fence about the avocado... only because it looks as though your heavily wooded and your house might seem to get lost. We also are heavily wooded... we have a neighbors house that is a mustard color and I love it! The lines of the house look nice in summer or winter :)

keep searching flickr... hopefully you'll get some inspiration there.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 am

welcome badcarburetor.

exterior color is a popular topic. be sure to consider your landscape into that equation too. also use the search function of this forum to find about 10 years of past discussion for you to dig into 8-)

cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:35 am

I think this is a landscaping project more than a paint one. The thing that shows the most is the roof. if it was my house I would create a more private entry, either with a fence or landscape screening. Then I'd replace the front door with a single light french door like the adjacent pair. Formal front doors (even if they are just slab ones painted a strong color) are over rated. But maybe that's because I live in a courtyard home without a "front" door at all.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Hmmmm? I think your house would look stellar in what Gabby and I call the "Yogi Bear" scheme, ox-blood red with turquoise trim. A nice cheerful yellow with white, or dark red, trim would be nice as well.
Some junipers out front would help a lot: you can sculpt them in various ways, from insane topiary to a more zen bonsai. They would help with the "low slung" look of the house: under the windows, and especially in the area in front of the shingled part. The shrubs are pretty distracting, particularly the one in the middle, it breaks the lines of the house up too much.
Oh boy, kudzu! If you don't like it, you may try using round up with a little bit of Dawn in it, it breaks down the waxy surfaces of the leaves and helps penetrate the leaves way more effectively: it worked really well on my vinca scourge!
Just a thought,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:54 am

Scott/Amber:

What type of wood and stain did you use for your stcutre that has your address on it?

Image[/quote]

badcarburetor
Modern Fan

Postby badcarburetor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey, thanks, y'all. I really do appreciate all the input.

I've been mainly lurking here for quite sometime and I see that most members really only give well thought out opinions, so that's why I was curious about what y'all would suggest.

I've never had a house that needed to be painted before, so opinions from y'all that have years of experience in this area are very much appreciated. I know what I like when I see, but I have a hard time committing such big decisions without a visual. I really wanted to stick with the avocado look, but never considered that my house would end up "lost" in the wild Georgia summer foliage. So big thanks for that tip!

I dig the bike, Joe. Nice one. The husband I were into Vespas for years, but getting smacked by a Range Rover made me decide to sink my cash into my muscle car hobby instead.

Landscaping will be in the semi-near future. As this a new house to us - we closed in January and are still (mainly) DIY renovating and haven't yet moved in - there is a lot on the To-Do list and landscaping is a ways down it. As a maintenance issue painting the exterior will likely be much higher on the list

That shingled area is weird isn't it? I'm not sure why it's there. It's OK, I guess, but I'm far from committed to it.

This is Georgia, so kudzu is always an issue. I really appreciate the Dawn tip. I've never heard that before. Wish I knew that the last 8 years that we've lived in a home that the kudzu will eventually reclaim.

Again, thank you and please keep the opinions coming!

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 pm

What exactly is happening in that courtyard area? What does that railing across the front of the shingled area do? I see that it looks like there is a walkway around the side, but could the rest of it be done away with, and the courtyard all becomes one level? If so, then I would consider actually walling in the coiurtyard and making the eye-catching, prominent front door the one that enters the courtyard.

Do a higher fence, or wall, that starts where the side fence rail is, and comes across the front and down along the driveway. Do a gate/door at the driveway entrance, and maybe another one, or just a frosted panel, in front of the front door.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

badcarburetor
Modern Fan

Postby badcarburetor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”