Floor, Kitchen & more help - Techbuilt house

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

AK Techbuilt
Modern Groupie

Floor, Kitchen & more help - Techbuilt house

Postby AK Techbuilt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

We bought this house from the 2nd owner in June 2009. Some is original, some is not. We plan to live here for another 4 yrs or so and then sell it and move to a warmer state. So anything we do to the house we need to keep resale in mind. The kitchen is an IKEA kitchen that the last owner put in around 2007. I hate the countertops, they are not wearing well at all. We want to use tax return money for new ones. Question is do we attempt to appeal to the masses when it comes to resale and put in granite or quartz or do we try to stay true to the home? The backsplash that they installed makes it tricky since it goes with just about nothing. Any mid century possible options that would go with this kitchen? I also hate the cabinet doors, but we may change those out to the shiny Abstrakt ones.

Note: these photos are all from before we moved in - house is currently too messy to take current pictures of!

The flooring throughout the living area is some kind of oak Pergo. The dishwasher and washing machine have leaked since we've lived here and the floor is not holding up. What should we replace it with? VCT maybe? Needs to be dog and kid friendly as we have both. Can see the floor we have in this photo. I since took down those bifold doors as they would not stay on their tracks and put up IKEA wardrobe sliding doors (but saved the bifolds in the garage).

The entryway has this green linoleum we are dying to tear up since it looks awful. My husband wants to put ceramic tile here and I am unsure. The edges are not straight lines so I think ceramic would just look odd, but he was wanting to use 4x4 tiles in a sage green color not far off from the linoleum.

Our front door needs to have the dents banged out of it and a new coat of paint. Stick with the maroon color or go with a dark grey or some other color?

This is a view of the front of the house

Oh and here's our master bathroom - we both hate the glass bowl sinks and want to replace them with something. Just don't know what to do there.

Most of the furniture we have is IKEA, some modern and some traditional styled things. I work there so I get a decent discount. We don't really have the money for MCM furniture but when we find pieces we like we get them. I have a Danish modern teak dining set that I love from Craigslist and we keep looking at vintage stores for more finds. Our next house likely won't be an MCM so we don't want to buy MCM styled things that cost a fortune - I buy it if I like it. Unless we can find a southern MCM home with a few acres to go with it then next house will not be one! I need more outdoor space for my dogs and kids and my husband's hobby of working on cars. But we love this house and think it is completely cool, which is why we don't want to wreck it but we need to keep reselling in mind.
-- Michelle

Armco Steel Techbuilt home

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 pm

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

AK Techbuilt
Modern Groupie

Postby AK Techbuilt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

-- Michelle