Painting Bifold doors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

AK Techbuilt
Modern Groupie

Painting Bifold doors

Postby AK Techbuilt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 pm

We have ALOT of white painted metal bifold doors throughout the house. Are these easy enough to take down and repaint? Should I try to sand off the old paint or how to prep them? I'd probably just paint them white again since all the trim is white anyway.
-- Michelle

Armco Steel Techbuilt home

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:46 pm

you should be able to remove from the brackets without much pain.

you could chemically strip and spray them yourself, or take them to someone to do it professionally (like a small auto body/paint shop).

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Is the paint bad, or are you just not thrilled with the color? Is it original paint, or has someone painted over them with a water based paint? If it's an industrial finish, I'd use some lacquer based filler-primer, out of a spray can to fill any chips, wet sanding with 320/400 grit wet dry paper and a sanding block if you can. Do you have access to an air compressor? If you do, buy or borrow and automotive "touch up" spray gun, about 35bux, geez, you can even go to a flea market and buy one, or even a full sized paint gun, it basically the reservoir size, and spray patter, but since it only doors, it shouldn't make much diff. You'll want to shoot at about 40-psi, and let go at the end of each paint stoke so you don't load your surface up too much..Okay, PM me if you want me to explain better, it ain't hard to do...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

AK Techbuilt
Modern Groupie

Postby AK Techbuilt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 pm

It looks like plain old white flat paint on them now. That's the feel of it. I wanted to give it a shinier finish somehow. The paint is all chipped off in many places so they need to be redone. The automotive paint idea is intriguing though, will have to ask my husband if he could arrange that!
-- Michelle

Armco Steel Techbuilt home

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:10 am

I'm interested to see how your doors turn out. We have the same project in our future and I am dreading it. Our doors have several layers of oil paint. Spraying over the top is not an option since the paint is scratch in some areas. We had to scrape off the grass cloth that was on the doors when we bought the house. We will have to strip the existing paint before respraying.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”