Compost Bins

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Compost Bins

Postby Planner Dude » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:45 pm

I have a mound of mulched leaves in my backyard, which has no fences and backs up to a canal of the Detroit river (looks more like a creek). My property is about 0.5 acres with about 10 mature deciduous trees, so it makes a lot of possible compost material.

I'd like to create a composting system so I can use it in my organic lawn care program, but I want it to look good and have a quick turn-over.

Any of you landscape architects or yardeners got any ideas for those of us with big yards?

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 am

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 am

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Composting

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 pm

You might get some ideas on composting from my blog (I taught a class on composting to our neighborhood garden club):

http://northcrestmodern.blogspot.com/20 ... guide.html

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks Dani and Appollo!

I am getting pretty familair with common practices. I just though maybe sombady had a creative idea to amke the piles or containers look good an modern.

thanks again!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:25 am

My old pile looked the most "Dwell Modern" - it was made from old pallets with the slates going horizontal on the outside forming 3 sides of a box. I kept a pile on each side. As the pile on the right was ready to integrate, the pile on the left would shift over and I would start a new pile on the left. Due to the slating, it looked quite modern from across the yard (sorry no images - I left it with the new owners of my previous house).

If you're going to do something similar, this is what I did - I dug holes for 4x4 posts in each corner with the tops level to one another (used a string line to establish level using long sticks). The posts were buried about 2 feet in the ground. The ground actually sloped so the trick is to make it look level to the eye (this reinforces the modernist look as well) by shortening the higher elevation and cutting an angle across the back. The outside surface of the pallets over-lapped the posts (the inside has to be cut back the width of the post or about 3.5 inches). It makes a very rigid structure and the pocket created by the air space on the inside of the pallet allows for air-flow. It was very effective (may end up making another). I got the posts for free in a CL ad for recycled decking, and the pallets were free as well so the entire cost of the project was a day of digging, cutting and nailing. Make sure you get more pallets that you think you'll need so you can take some of the extra slating to improve the look from the outside. Just be careful to line up the boards for continuity across the edges and you'll get a great looking compost pile.

-- John

Philip K. Dick

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

John that sounds great. I may end up doing this. Did you uses a sating or paint on it?

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:27 am

No sealer or paint - they got to be quite weathered and since the texture is rough I liked the look. I figured that if they rotted out I could always get some more free pallets...

-- John

Philip K. Dick

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”