MCM on HGTV's Curb Appeal

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM on HGTV's Curb Appeal

Postby Planner Dude » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 am

Two MCM renovations...

Let's have a discussion :-)

http://www.hgtv.com/video/mid-century-p ... index.html

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 am

main renovation:

- i like the new walkway/deck but wish there was a low planter/seating/guardrail (maybe 18" high) along the front and left side of the deck. it would make the brick base of the house not so heavy and give a little feeling of privacy.

- the new arbor is a good idea but three things are bugging me: making it an extension of the existing roof line; the fat posts/thin trellis; and the curvy trellis pieces. i think a simple, flat plane trellis sliding under the existing roof would reinforce the clean deck and fit better with the 'mid-century' design. there is a traditional japanese beam that uses that curved form but here it just looks too wimpy with those fat posts.

- i don't like the colors they chose. the brown feels a little sad to me and is too heavy. i would suggest a single color for the brick and siding and use the new deck to act as the heavier base. with the new white arbor it starts to feel like a nantucket or cape cod type of color scheme.

smaller renovation:

- are you kidding me? that green and beige do not work! you gotta paint the brick if you're doing that green color above.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am

it seems like on both houses they tried to make it more cookie cutter-ish, taking away the MCM feel.

The smaller's colors were better before IMHO.

I also hate that curvy trellis.

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:39 am

i forgot two things:

- i'm sure they filmed many hours to make this twenty minute episode; i wish they would have shown more of the work as far as building that deck and trellis (like putting in the concrete piers and framing the deck). instead they focused a lot on painting mistakes, the incorrect placement of the fire pit and driveway parking, and some neighbor with a monkey on his shoulder.

- regarding the monkey, did they have to include the co-host saying it looked like '... james brown with a blown-out hairstyle' (or something like that)? talk about an awkward comment, sheesh!

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 pm

ewww.....

I'd rather them pay my mortgage for a yr. with that 20K

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 am

The mini-facelift: I agree with those of you who said you liked the original color better.

The big facelift: Just not buying it. The color is maybe OK. And I like the idea of the deck, but I agree that maybe a bench wall or planter would have worked well at the perimeter. And . . . a painted deck? This is clearly not a couple that is into maintenance. Why not stain? Agree also on the trellis just being incorrect. But I would like to see how it would look if all the white trime were removed and it was done in a different color. I'm not sure if it is the design that is jarring or the wedding-house-white that is the problem.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”