Page 1 of 1
MCM on HGTV's Curb Appeal
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 am
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 am
- i like the new walkway/deck but wish there was a low planter/seating/guardrail (maybe 18" high) along the front and left side of the deck. it would make the brick base of the house not so heavy and give a little feeling of privacy.
- the new arbor is a good idea but three things are bugging me: making it an extension of the existing roof line; the fat posts/thin trellis; and the curvy trellis pieces. i think a simple, flat plane trellis sliding under the existing roof would reinforce the clean deck and fit better with the 'mid-century' design. there is a traditional japanese beam that uses that curved form but here it just looks too wimpy with those fat posts.
- i don't like the colors they chose. the brown feels a little sad to me and is too heavy. i would suggest a single color for the brick and siding and use the new deck to act as the heavier base. with the new white arbor it starts to feel like a nantucket or cape cod type of color scheme.
- are you kidding me? that green and beige do not work! you gotta paint the brick if you're doing that green color above.
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am
it seems like on both houses they tried to make it more cookie cutter-ish, taking away the MCM feel.
The smaller's colors were better before IMHO.
I also hate that curvy trellis.
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:39 am
i forgot two things:
- i'm sure they filmed many hours to make this twenty minute episode; i wish they would have shown more of the work as far as building that deck and trellis (like putting in the concrete piers and framing the deck). instead they focused a lot on painting mistakes, the incorrect placement of the fire pit and driveway parking, and some neighbor with a monkey on his shoulder.
- regarding the monkey, did they have to include the co-host saying it looked like '... james brown with a blown-out hairstyle' (or something like that)? talk about an awkward comment, sheesh!
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 pm
I'd rather them pay my mortgage for a yr. with that 20K
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 am
The mini-facelift: I agree with those of you who said you liked the original color better.
The big facelift: Just not buying it. The color is maybe OK. And I like the idea of the deck, but I agree that maybe a bench wall or planter would have worked well at the perimeter. And . . . a painted deck? This is clearly not a couple that is into maintenance. Why not stain? Agree also on the trellis just being incorrect. But I would like to see how it would look if all the white trime were removed and it was done in a different color. I'm not sure if it is the design that is jarring or the wedding-house-white that is the problem.
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 am