First house: late 50s Ranch..but ugly front porch awning....

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
spud802
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First house: late 50s Ranch..but ugly front porch awning....

Postby spud802 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 am

Hello everyone. First time poster and first time homeowner here looking for opinions/suggestions. I posted over in the GardenWeb Home Decorating Forum and someone also suggested posting here for more opinions.

I recently purchased a late 50s Ranch, and I'm looking to update or remove the awning over the front porch of the house. I thought about repainting it either dark brown (to match the wood on the house) or creamy yellow (to match the siding) with either dark brown or black railing, but now I'm thinking about removing it altogether. The only thing I'm worried about if I remove the awning is boatloads of extra sunlight coming in through the large living room window. Anyone have any opinions? Remove it and keep the railing? Repainting color options? Thanks!

P.S. The colors are fairly accurate except the dark brown wood planks above the brick on the front of the house look more black than dark brown.

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 am

Hi! I'm glad you found this board. Folks should chime in with responses throughout the day. But this board isn't as busy as the GW boards, so give it some time.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 am

Hmmmm?!?!?!? You've got a pretty nasty little pop-up when I went to look at your site, GRRRRR!
Yeah, anyway... I don't hate your metal awning, it is period, and I think you'll find in a few years that lots of folks are getting rid of them because they don't look like what you see in all the "cool" books, "Well gosh they don't have those on Iklers...", or words to that effect: does this make sense? Live at your house a year before you decide you can't live with something.
Gabby and I just bought a 1920 Spanish Revival that has some 1950-60's redo's that look so out of place its ridiculous: hmmmm, fiber glass lights over a Craftsman fireplace, SIIIIIIIIIIGH!
What I'm trying to get at is don't take away the things that are of its time, they're vanishing faster than you realize. Try to think of it like this: would you cut the fins off of a 1957 Chrysler Imperial because they aren't in fashion right now, I wouldn't!
If yo have Adobe Photoshop try playing with the colors of what's there, as well as the rest of the house. Like say, what if the white on the house was aqua or coral, as well as the awning and lattices and rails. Those funky boat prows on the facade are pretty boss, more color would make your house pop.
Just my two cents,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 05, 2011 1:47 pm

welcome to LL.

your ranch looks like a solid home.

I'd lose the awning and railing. it's awful. go through summer and see how the sun does. it may work out. if needed, consider some tree options to help with shade on the window instead.

you might check to see if the brown is original. brown was a popular color in the late '50s and goes well with the yellow bricks. not much goes well with yellow bricks.

is that vinyl siding on the side? if so, I'd lose that too. I would also replace the garage door with something more period appropriate.

Great resources for design inspiration would be Sunset, Better homes & garden, House Beautiful, House & Home, House & Garden magazines from the 1950s. you can find them on ebay for cheap. stay true to the period. don't feel you need to redo everything just because it's not new. I would stay away from trying to make it into some "Dwell" –ified modern masterpiece.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I'd get rid of it as well, although I might think of replacing it with a level patio cover that had the angles of the house repeated on the ends of the fascia. It could have a slatted top to filter light or even have a fiberglass roof to shed water, installed so that it did not show.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/49621769/ho ... rom-sunset

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69655920/pa ... azine-1954

Also, just so you know, the half wagon wheel or sunrise detail on the garage windows can be eliminated easily. The are just inserts. That would create a simple band of windows in line with the stone belt line. Dark sun control film applied to the inside of the windows would intensify the effect.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”