Scowsa's Home in Culver City Part 2

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Scowsa's Home in Culver City Part 2

Postby scowsa » Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 pm

After he visited our house, you may recall Stephen posted his cell phone pic of the house, along with some nice comments.

As I mentioned at the time, our contractor was hiring a photographer to take some for his portfolio, and we now have copies.

So we went from this (a tear-down we bought, on an unusual triangular lot within walking distance of downtown Culver City)

to our new house in an MCM style, with many green elements, including 22 solar panels

Full slide show
scowsa

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 am

scowsa,

Wow...what a great home! Has your place ever been the focus on any type of TV show? It certainly rates!

So, this is all new construction. I see some of your high windows look operable, some not. Were the non-operable areas glazed on-site, or are those custom order windows?

The non-block exterior material surface, is that stucco?

The soffit and fascia, is that metal? I think I've seen metal like that used on commercial structures (airports, etc...).

Your patio trellis looks like steel. Is the house steel frame?

The underside of the upward sloping roof line has a bend about midway between the lowest point and the highest point, making the roof edge slightly thicker there. I've seen this on mid-century built modern homes done in wood and have wondered, is there a structural need for it, or is it simply esthetics.

While on the subject of structural needs...how much of it did you design yourself and how much was architect designed? Or, did you just have a basic idea and let an architect run with it, under your advisement?

Thanks for sharing. I love it!

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks Robb. Lots of Qs, so here goes.

I see some of your high windows look operable, some not. Were the non-operable areas glazed on-site, or are those custom order windows?
All windows were custom and all the regular windows have 18" H operable ones at the top, shaded under the eaves, to facilitate air flow, as we went with no AC. (Which has worked out fine so far.) In the living room we were nervous about it heating up so we had two of the clerestory ones also made operable but we rarely open them.

The non-block exterior material surface, is that stucco?
It is, and all the outer walls are SIPs -- structurally insulated panels,

The soffit and fascia, is that metal? I think I've seen metal like that used on commercial structures (airports, etc...).
It is, its a powder coated metal that I sourced. Note the trend here, with the windows, stucco and soffit and fascia. No future painting required -- a very conscious decision.

Your patio trellis looks like steel. Is the house steel frame?
Just the living room end, around the sliders.

The underside of the upward sloping roof line has a bend about midway between the lowest point and the highest point, making the roof edge slightly thicker there. I've seen this on mid-century built modern homes done in wood and have wondered, is there a structural need for it, or is it simply esthetics.
An aesthetic decision. It makes me think of an airplane wing.

While on the subject of structural needs...how much of it did you design yourself and how much was architect designed?
We already knew we wanted a butterfly roof and that the living room would have a wall of glass opening out into the point of the triangle. Because of the unusual lot shape, I had also shared a likely footprint with the city before I even bought the lot. We also knew what kind of elements (e.g. block wall) and finishes we wanted and sourced the materials.

So the architect's focus was finalizing this and helping us with room layouts etc, plus the structural aspects. For various reasons, he did not stay with us through the whole project. The key decision for us was to hire a contractor who had built "modern" and had used SIPs and custom windows etc.
scowsa

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed May 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Quote:
we went with no AC

Wow....gutsy. But, I suppose that choice made what appear to be polished concrete floors and attic-less ceilings easier to pull off.

We live just 5 miles from the coast so we still get the breezes and the cooler nights, plus our bedrooms are on the North side of the house

I looked at some of your other photos. Funny, we have a "cat door" too. I love our 2 cats (which my wife had prior to our marriage). But I agree, they don't need full run of the house all the time...

We spoil ours as they also have a regular cat door (in the TV room) which enters a section of the garden fenced off for them, with cat-proof fencing to keep them in and others out.

I'd enjoy seeing your floor plan, if you wouldn't mind posting it.

Will have to see if I have a smaller copy anywhere.
scowsa

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm

house looks sick scowsa... i've driven past it a few times. if we didn't find a decent post and beam when we were in the market i wanted to do just what you did. buy a good lot with an ugly house, rip that dirty broad down and put up an awesome pre fab.

good work :cheers:

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 am

I really like your landscaping! Did you do it yourself? Sorry if you have already answered that somewhere else.
My husband and I are trying to redo the backyard and some of the front ourselves. A lot didn't make it through the hottest summer ever (Dallas) and drought.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 am

scowsa

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 am

scowsa

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 am

"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 am

scowsa

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:49 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm

No, it's not sterile enough for Dwell. Have you ever seen this site?

http://unhappyhipsters.com/

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am

Site is so funny. I've hated dwell since it hit the news stands but whenever someone ask me why I could never explain it, it's like they try so hard they over compensate on everything. Thanks egads that site has put into words what I have been unable to express for some time now.
My favorite one so far....

It was punishment unique to her modernist parents: hours of solitary confinement with classic and contemporary design icons, followed by stern yet uncomfortably hypocritical lectures on freedom of expression and rejecting tradition.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:25 pm

cool house sc...
concrete floors? i love concrete and we thought about them for our house but they cause my back to hurt - i need the give of wood - gosh i sound old.
but cool pad
http://clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com/

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 am

I wanted to bump this thread to congradulate SCOWSA, per my post up above someone finally realized the design and beauty of his home and the obvious hard work that went into it.

Thanks to my all time favorite Mag Atomic Ranch as they will feature his home in the winter issue. See tease pic in current fall 2012 issue on the COMING UP page (75)...

Again congradulations scowsa its well deserved... :clap:

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Re-bumping this thread to offer belated thanks to Mod' i-fy for his nice comments and the reference to the Winter edition of Atomic Ranch, which I finally saw in print today.

It was an interesting process working with AT. The editor actually posted on Lotta Living a few years back, looking for houses, and I had let her know we were building an MCM-influenced new house.

She asked me to get back in touch when it was built , which I did and, based on the email I sent her, she suggested I write the article.
scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”