My MCM stucco box needs design ideas. Pics included. HELP!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

darrhein
Modern Groupie

My MCM stucco box needs design ideas. Pics included. HELP!

Postby darrhein » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am

This is my second post regarding needing help with design ideas (or finding a designer) to help with my front facade. As you can see it's a bit plain and stark. I will be redoing all front landscaping and going California coastal native with lots of succulents, native grasses and decomposed granite (no grass). I am trying to find a way to give my house some MCM "style" without going over the top. We also want to change the entry steps and path (off to the side probably) and door. I'm open to ideas. I'm open to designers you might want to refer. I'm just open. Thanks.
pics:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm

I think you have lots of potential for a cool mid-century house, but looks like it's suffered some unkind remodels. we'll probably want to see the interior too.

realistically, what's your ballpark budget and timeframe for this house? are you planning to live in it a while or flip it?

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being none and 10 highly skilled in the trades, how handy are you to do some of the work yourself? how are you at managing projects?

all important stuff to get out of the way before tossing suggestions. :)

darrhein
Modern Groupie

Updating my MCM...

Postby darrhein » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Joe for getting back on this. I'll try to throw together some interior shots next. Yes, I think it probably has had a revision or two since 1949 but it's got great bones. As far as your questions...Ballpark budget for facade, door, entry, hardscape and landscape is approx $30k (for front yeard only- we need some backyard work also but that can wait. ie. cool patio cover, etc). Can go higher if it really excites us. We plan on staying here for a while (10 years +). I'm very handy so I'd say a 7 on skill level. I'm also about a 7 on project managing. Thanks Joe.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I agree with Joe, your house has plenty of potential and I particularly like the three-level roof.

There have been a lot of discussions on this board about entry-ways and the first three things most folks do are:
1. Get a new door, with the plain front slab style being most popular, typically painted in a pop-out color, such as orange or a lighter blue. Also, some folks like those with "doorlites" which Crestview Doors sell kits for. Here's one with such a color and doorlites.

2. Get a more MCM style light, and here's a thread on that topic --don't be surprised if some of the links don't work on older posts.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4484

We recently bought one from these folks

3. Get modern house numbers, a regular topic on this board. Here is one thread

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... se+numbers

I would add a fourth, in that the right-hand wall would be the perfect place for outdoor art, such a this

Sold here
scowsa

darrhein
Modern Groupie

reply to Scowsa

Postby darrhein » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for great input Scowsa. Yes, I love those doors. That would be a good, solid start for us. Also lighting, numbers and maybe some "art". The next concern is how to "fix" the entry steps with something a little more modern feeling. Also obviously paint and then our eaves and fascia issues with the flat roof and 3 different levels.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am

scowsa

darrhein
Modern Groupie

front entry steps

Postby darrhein » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm

my house is already a pretty atomic whatever style MCM but here's what i did.... i built a fake front facade with a door and obscure glass [i'm a glass man by trade so that stuff is easy for me]. behind the door is a long walkway to the real front door and when i'm finished with everything it will be more like a private courtyard. i wish i had a before pic, totally horrible and overgrown with ugly bushes.

pretty much whats been said already... snazzy house numbers. my faves are the neutra numbers or modplexi from etsy but i got mine from [yes i know] home depot for 6 bux each because i was unsure if i wanted them there so i got cheapies to play with.

i painted my front doors orange and got some brushed stainless schlage commercial round orb knobs, light fixtures, cleaned the landscape and added succulents.... etc. obviously it's still a work in progress but those little things i did added lots of pop until i can do the rest of my ideas. hope that helps stir up the imagination! :cheers:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I see your place as more strictly modern rather than MCM Atomic Ranch. I like the juxtaposition of the various planes. I'd probably add another (or two) as a walls to the landscape. Perhaps new steps could be wrapped around the corner like PacifiaModern's with a new post to support the porch roof moved out into the landscape (opening up the porch corner) Redo the path to the door to make it more meandering and have the new steps to the side go to a small patio that new walls enclose. It would be nice for landscape walls and broad steps to hide the height that having a raised foundation creates that is fighting with the Miesian box that is your house. You need to emphasize the horizontal.
Look at work by Neutra and other 20th century modernists.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 pm

lowered couch, who did your gutters? Me likey.

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:08 pm

yeah it's still a work in progress for me. so far i've done all the work myself and i try and do as much of it as i can. with a new baby it's tough though. i plan to redo the whole walkway and the front window is going to all be redone in a few months and i'm going to add a horizontal slat facade in front of the new window wall as well. there will be new fences running all the way back... etc.

funny you mention neutra, he's one of my faves.... as for my gutters they are original to the house from what i can tell. i want to redo them and box them in to hide them and add drain chains instead of down spouts.

anyway, i don't wanna highjack but thanks for the input :cheers:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”