Any photos of patio overhangs/pergolas?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Any photos of patio overhangs/pergolas?

Postby Luka » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 pm

We're in the very early stages of planning a patio overhang/pergola (it's freestanding) and I wondered if anyone had seen interesting structures online or had their own patio overhang/pergola images they would like to share. Many thanks!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Recently discovered this LA area company that does more modern styles in steel and Lexan.

scowsa

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 pm

This is on our "old" house (our "new" house is 40-years older!):

From the shadows you can see the actual layout. We didn't put any fiberglass on it but we thought about it: living in an oak preserve, it would have gotten dirty about twenty after cleaning it! When I was rebuilding it, I noticed remnants of that "potato chip" fiberglass, you know the, for lack of a better word, corrugated, wavy stuff? I love the green stuff, it's so charmingly dated. Gabby likes it so much she wanted to put it on a fence, but we only had deer fence...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:05 pm

What I meant to say was, twenty seconds after cleaning it!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 am

There's a Sunset book "How to Build Patio Roofs" that has a lot of good ideas in it. Some that I like in particular:

Patterns in Reed and Bamboo - some of the lanai style are spectacular, though informal

Lath, Batten and Lumber - allows for the use of inexpensive screening materials

Glass, Plastic and Aluminum - whole tutorial on the proper handling and installation of corrugated plastic

There are a lot of different louvre combinations. If I have time I'll scan a few photos - many of the shots show the houses to have post-and-beam construction.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm

That would be great Johnny. Good idea on the fabric as well. Love that look.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”