We Got our Mod Historic District Finally!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
txmod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

We Got our Mod Historic District Finally!

Postby txmod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:18 pm

After a couple of years of work, and a lot of controversy, (you have no idea), Glenbrook Valley was established as a protected historic district in Houston. At 1,256 homes it is one of the larger mid-century historic districts, developed between 1953 and 1962. As far as I know it is the first post WWII Historic District in the state of Texas.

This is a great step in recognizing the importance of mid-century architecture. A great big thank you also goes to Atomic Ranch magazine for their support and materials they forwarded to the Houston city council and the Mayor.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 am

that's awesome! congratulations!

you should repost this in the preservation forum too.

also, while I know each situation is unique in its own way, you might consider writing a summary detailing your process and the obstacles overcame. this will be helpful for other communities considering similar endeavors.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 am

Congratulations! I know that had to be a tremendous undertaking in Houston, the land of no zoning. You are all to be heartily commended.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:00 pm

I am REALLY hoping our experience is a unique one in the process, trust me on that.

I am glad it is over, and I am really glad we got this.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!! :cheers:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm

belated congratulations!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”