Exterior Painting, and let's talk downspouts

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

wwilber
Modern Master

Exterior Painting, and let's talk downspouts

Postby wwilber » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Six years after moving into our house with its then new paint job, and the paint has reached epic failure. Specifically those areas that receive the most sun exposure. Several undercoats of partially failing paint are to blame, so I'm removing all of the existing layers on the redwood siding (originally stianed) and priming and repainting.

The before:

Looks fine from the street, but not up close. I am removing all of the interior door casing that was applied as exterior trim around the windows, which I didn't do before because the previous owners put them on before panting the new body color on the house.

In progress:

New colors are already chosen, but I am interested in optinions and options for the downspouts; specifically the two that are visible on each end of the house. One has been removed as seen in the photos, and the other is at the opposite corner of the house. Adjacent the large window is the garage door, and other downspout.

To maintain a cleaner look, ideally they would be painted the same color as the body of the house, but since we will be keeping a contrasting color for the fascia, there is an issue with a break in paint colors. Ideally, I would remove them altogether and replace with an alternative solution, but I'm working within a tight budget, so price and ease is of concern. Originally our house had a built in gutter with a larger fascia board, but this solution was not well suited for the weather here, and most homes in the neighborhood have switched to conventional gutters at some point after the original system failed.

Hoping to work a new front door into the project as well, but we'll see if that has to wait a bit.

Thoughts or suggestions?
My neighborhood:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 pm

I would paint them the body color of the house. For modern, the less do dads the better. I would recommend having them redone in a box style instead of the corrugated ready made ones. But if you are on a budget and they are not trashed, well then just paint them. Make them go away visually.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 pm

body color. you don't want to trim them out to draw attention to them. actually on a house like that, I would not trim out the windows and doors either.

beams should be same color inside/out

probably match fascia with beams to keep it two colors. orange door is fine

newtbilly
Modern Groupie

Postby newtbilly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I agree with the other posters -- body color. I like the orange door, but you could get something that would let the light come through more.

Without stealing the thread, would everyone say the same thing if these were copper gutters? I have the same question as the original poster, but everyone says how hard it is to paint copper and that the aging copper patina should be loved, not painted. But it doesn't match the body color or the trim color for my house. Thanks!

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 pm

maybe you can 86 'em and put in some drain chains instead... if not make em less noticeable

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”