Rain gutters for my Cliff May

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vespamike
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rain gutters for my Cliff May

Postby vespamike » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:13 am

I was wondering if anyone in the Long Beach Ranchos has a recommendation for a rain gutter contractor. The original built in gutters are long gone and I would like to have new ones installed. Thanks for your help!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Mike, I am a fellow Long Beach Rancho owner. My main house actually has the original gutter system, but I have a garage addition & roofed patio cover that also needs gutters. I once had some made for a client at a sheet metal fabricator. What I had made was a parallelogram, the bottom level and the back & front face at the same angle as the fascia. I installed them with hidden brackets that they also made. Really what they are is a modified "box" gutter.
It's possible that one of the SoCal seamless gutter companies might have the jig to make a box gutter. The Ogee edge gutters are the common ones. Some are able to make a half round. Seamless aluminum gutters are by far the cheapest and easiest to get done. The gutters I had made where heavy galvanized steel in 10 foot lengths. They needed to be finished (with all the steps and coats that entails) and then installed. I was also able to get true box style down spouts like our houses came with instead of the corrugated ones the gutter guys install.
So my favorite solution is pretty custom, but dyi able.
I really don't have a person to suggest, but I do need this as well. So I will look into it. If you do, ask about seamless box gutters. Those can be installed with a wedge to sit level like they use for the Ogee edge ones.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 am

do you have any pictures?

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree, the seamless is totally the way to go. I did mine in the ten foot lengths and it was SATANIC. I used words that sound a lot like "mother trucker"--a lot! A pro can get that thing straight where the water doesn't pool up and eventually leak. If they buckle, it gets tough to fit them under the flashing. I'm not someone who likes to let someone else work on my house, or my cars, but like certain types of windows, etc. it's good to let someone who knows what they are doing, do it. Just my two-cents.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I'd rebuild the original build-in. look much better.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”