Better soffit for underside of balcony

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Better soffit for underside of balcony

Postby Planner Dude » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Ok I have a balcony on the back of my house that has a grated soffit underneath it allowing water to drain directly onto my patio. It was put in my the previous homeowners.

I personally hate this soffit design because all the water drains onto a space that could other wise provide some shelter from rainfall. this is where I keep my grill, etc. Since I have many trees in my backyard, I get a lot of debris on the balcony and hence an ugly grated soffit it anyway.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/ ... =slideshow

I'd like to somehow channel the water and divert it to a rain barrel or just away.

Anyone got any cheap ideas?
Last edited by Planner Dude on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:32 pm

You have to make your photobucket album public.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:36 pm

sorry! :oops:

try now!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Cheap and doing it right may not be possible. This is what I think I see there now: Some sort of grate like upper decking with the underside having the vinyl material that is used under eves to allow air movement. It may be set up to deal with melting snow. I am such a socal guy that dealing with a deck in the snow is beyond me. But it seems like the upper part would need to be roofed, with really good flashing where the deck meets the house. Decks either drain well or are completely waterproof. There is no in between. The good news is that membrane roofing materials have come a long way. They have dense stria-foam panels that can create a gentle pitch away from the house. Having a rain gutter at the deck's edge is also a good idea. I would talk to some roofers or if this must be dyi, talk to the counter guy at a roofing supply. Do some online research on materials for flat roofs. But this I know, the edge where the deck meets the house must be flashed right. If water gets in there it can rot the whole side of the house. It can cause the deck to loose it's attachment to the house. (usually when one has too many drunk friends on it) Not good.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks Egads!

Funny thing is I have a rain gutter guy coming out Monday...I'll ask him about what he'd propose.

I have noticed so many eff-ed up DIY projects on this house already..it just drives me crazy how some folk don't think to much about design.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Somebody did not want to keep painting the underside of that deck. Covering it with vinyl soffit venting probably covers a multitude of sins.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:05 am

How about allowing the deck to continue to let water to pass through but channel it away from the underside?

A slightly sloped "waterproof sheet of whatever", that the rain would collect on the top side of after flowing through the deck and then flow to the low edge of the "waterproof sheet of whatever" and allow the water to fall. Not sure if that made any sense at all but I hope you get the picture.

I guess it would be like building a shed roof over your head while standing on the patio/deck below but connected to the deck above, so instead of the soffit vent underneath it would be a solid sheet of material slightly sloped one way or the other to direct rain to the edge.

Corrugated fiberglass?...marine plywood?...plexi sheets?...not sure what kind of material is out there but I'm sure something can be found.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 am

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 am

With the popularity of 2nd floor decks on sloped-lot McMansions here in the midwest, there's actually an off-the-shelf solution readily available for your situation. While I haven't installed one myself, it doesn't look too bad. It's a system of scalloped aluminum (doesn't look like vinyl) sections approx 16" wide and of whatever length you desire that attaches to the underside of the treated joists using spacers or channels. The water drains to one end and is channeled away. Around here you can pick it up at the box stores. Takes care of the water problem and doesn't look too bad either. Good luck!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:26 am

Planner Dude, any updates? The product cadman offers sound perfect. I wonder how involved it is taking them down to clean? You have a lot of trees dropping leaves on the top of the deck. The deck surface has to have wide enough spaces between the boards to drain. That allows crap to get down through. If they snap into (and out of) a channel that would allow maintenance.

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 am

Egads,

no updates. the gutter people didn't even look at it.

I just saw Cadman's post today, so am looking into the stuff--trying toi find the stuff online first, so I sorta sound like I know what I am talking about when I go to a big box store. :D

Here is a web link I have found:

http://underdeck.com/

http://www.dry-b-lo.com/

http://dryunderdecks.com/index.html

http://www.versadeck.com/products/versa_dry.php

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am

It looks pretty complicated and probably hard to clean out.

What do you guys think?

http://underdeck.com/installationvideo.html

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Well, I like the Underdeck product. Sure it seems complicated, but defiantly dyi able. This place has a material cost calculator:

http://www.diyhomecenter.com/underdeck/

Once you know what costs, you can compare that with just making the upper deck watertight. What is the snow build up like on the deck? How fast does it melt and drain through? Have you removed any of the existing soffit cover to see haw much junk is getting caught in there?

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”