Depressing Topic... Finding ruined MCMs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Studebaker
Modern Groupie

Depressing Topic... Finding ruined MCMs

Postby Studebaker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:14 pm

As a real estate agent always on the search for MCM's in San Diego, nothing bums me out more than running across a ruined property. I'm talking completely ruined... and unable to resuscitate. Take a look at this home I found today:

If that link has expired, here's a sample photo of the bedroom. The rest of the house is even worse:

Anyone else come across this kind of disaster?
Stacey Studebaker
Real Estate Agent and Lover of MCM!

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:13 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Yup, really dreadful, but you've got to give them points for consistency. You rarely see a theme carried out so thoroughly. It doesn't look cheap either. I guess for people who like this sort of thing, it's the sort of thing those people would like.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 pm

not really depressing when you have the vision and understanding to restore it to original glory. we've seen a lot of homes come back from the dead over the past decade, it's easier to restore an MCM home than it was then. much easier.

that's what this forum is dedicated to: restoring and living in a mid-century modern home. we share knowledge and experiences, all documented in these threads.

Welcome to LL :wink:

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 am

Truthfully it looks totally fixable - you just have to see the bones are all in place and everything else can be ripped out. Now I have a problem with ripping out perfectly good stuff - like hgtv people insisting that they have to have stainless when they have perfectly good white appliances but i digress. now if your goal is to make a profit at 3/4 of million i dont think you can flip this one. you would have to make the changes because that is what you like. but it is pretty fugly right now. spanish and mcm does not mix at all!Q

http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”