Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

JeffNichols
Modern Groupie

Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood

Postby JeffNichols » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am

My name is Jeff Nichols, and as owner of Eichler Siding, I'm interested in learning more about Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood. It was used both as interior paneling and exterior siding. It has a very unique look to it. Very fine "veins" running in parallel to each other.

This material is known by at least three different names. I understand it was produced in the '40's and '50's by US Plywood and is no longer available. I'm working on a process to produce it again. However before I can do that I need some information on it. If you have any interest in this project and or have any information on the material please respond here, and or send me an email.
Thanks! Jeff

If you are interested in my survey/discussion of this material on FaceBook, please go to http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 ... &topic=336

Click on the link below for a picture of Weldtex.
We manufacture siding for mid-century homes, specializing in Eichler's and Eichler clones.

visit www.eichlersiding.com for more info.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am

JeffNichols wrote:My name is Jeff Nichols, and as owner of Eichler Siding, I'm interested in learning more about Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood. It was used both as interior paneling and exterior siding. It has a very unique look to it. Very fine "veins" running in parallel to each other.

This material is known by at least three different names. I understand it was produced in the '40's and '50's by US Plywood and is no longer available. I'm working on a process to produce it again. However before I can do that I need some information on it. If you have any interest in this project and or have any information on the material please respond here, and or send me an email.
Thanks! Jeff

If you are interested in my survey/discussion of this material on FaceBook, please go to http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 ... &topic=336

Jeff,

Great website.

Have you considered selling pre-dimensioned redwood for Cliff May homes? It's a little harder to get it in the right sizes and most of the suppliers only want to ship huge amounts.

Also, I've come across a group of homes built down here in SoCal that have a very unique siding project. It's a composite material from the 1950s and it's board an batten. Then boards are fairly flat but the battens appear to be wood with a deep, wavy grooves. Upon closer inspection you see the pattern repeat so I know it's a manufactured composite material.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:33 pm

It was a while back that I posted a link to the original patent doc for that stuff; I'd swear up and down it was here but can't find it. Other stuff I can't remember include the name of the designer that held the patent...Dex something is all I can recall (somebody pitch in). The stuff was pretty popular, Paul Frankl employed it in a lot of his designs and I've seen it used in panel form, tongue and groove decking and even beams surfaced on all sides. The process was described as a method for transforming the (unpleasant?) surface of douglas fir plywood into something decorative. The patent doc went on to describe what was basically a power planer with specially profiled cutting blades. In the thread (that exists somewhere) I made the suggestion that one could easily have custom planer blades cut and possibly convince a mill to turn out a short run of sheet product.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 pm

JeffNichols
Modern Groupie

Postby JeffNichols » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Hey Dan O. thanks for the link. It's interesting to see the history on this material. Thanks for looking it up.

Jeff
We manufacture siding for mid-century homes, specializing in Eichler's and Eichler clones.

JeffNichols
Modern Groupie

Re: Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood

Postby JeffNichols » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 am

Stephen wrote:
JeffNichols wrote:My name is Jeff Nichols, and as owner of Eichler Siding, I'm interested in learning more about Weldtex, Combed or Striated Plywood. It was used both as interior paneling and exterior siding. It has a very unique look to it. Very fine "veins" running in parallel to each other.

Thanks! Jeff

Jeff,

Great website.

Have you considered selling pre-dimensioned redwood for Cliff May homes? It's a little harder to get it in the right sizes and most of the suppliers only want to ship huge amounts.

Also, I've come across a group of homes built down here in SoCal that have a very unique siding project. It's a composite material from the 1950s and it's board an batten. Then boards are fairly flat but the battens appear to be wood with a deep, wavy grooves. Upon closer inspection you see the pattern repeat so I know it's a manufactured composite material.

Hey Stephen I'd like to learn more about the siding on the May homes. Can you give me more information on them?

thanks,
Jeff

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm

The siding on my Long beach Cliff May is 5 quarter X 12 wide boards and 4" wide battens. There are also houses in my tract with 10" wide boards. Rough sawed old growth redwood. It is possible to obtain, but as Stephen says, a large custom order is necessary. (mostly for the width and thickness) All the full height boards are 84" long, as are the full height window units. While most of the houses were sold as prefab kits, with 5' wide panels to go between the post spacing, all the houses in my tract were what I would call precut. The spaces between the 64" on center posts are conventionally built of a top & bottom plate and 16" on center studs with blocking dividing the stud spaces into fourths. The kit versions had panels that where made up of X braces. There is a good photo of that in the link in Joe's posts.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:36 am

Pretty much what he said. On mine the backs of the boards are planed smooth, as are the tops and bottoms. The tops and bottoms are easy to do when installing or trimming, but planing or sanding the backs would be a pain.

My house was built with an actual kit (X braces and patent plates) so it might be different.

egads wrote:The siding on my Long beach Cliff May is 5 quarter X 12 wide boards and 4" wide battens. There are also houses in my tract with 10" wide boards. Rough sawed old growth redwood. It is possible to obtain, but as Stephen says, a large custom order is necessary. (mostly for the width and thickness) All the full height boards are 84" long, as are the full height window units. While most of the houses were sold as prefab kits, with 5' wide panels to go between the post spacing, all the houses in my tract were what I would call precut. The spaces between the 64" on center posts are conventionally built of a top & bottom plate and 16" on center studs with blocking dividing the stud spaces into fourths. The kit versions had panels that where made up of X braces. There is a good photo of that in the link in Joe's posts.
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:47 pm

welcome Jeff.

I have seen the Weldtex stuff used on 3/4 high interior walls in Cliff May homes.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:23 am

I posted on your Facebook wall, but I'm excited that anyone is even thinking of reproducting this product. I think there is a strong market for it, as it was used SO extensively in the 1940-60 timeframe... People restoring their homes may need to replace deteriorating pieces, and it can be used so creatively for a wide variety of projects - furniture, valances, frames, lamp bases, the possibilities seem endless...

Weldtex was invented by industrial designer Donald Deskey in the late 30's, and used in furniture designs and as an architectural feature from about 1940 up. Here is a photo of his "Sportshack" from 1940:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56549490@N02/6039471318/

Furniture designers like Paul Frankl and Gilbert Rohde used it as a decorative feature in their furniture designs. I found several 16 x 16 and 12 x 12 square panels on eBay several years ago, and used them when we created a bar in our kitchen/utility room. I see that you found those photos, one of them is linked up above. People love the texture of Weldtex, and it always starts a discussion.... I went to one of the Case Study Houses in Pacific Palisades not long ago, and walls (inside and out) were all Weldtex, even the ceilings! That house was from 1947. After the Northridge earthquake, the homeowner had to search high and low for replacement panels for parts that were destroyed.

I think there would be a good market for such a product. It's got a unique texture, and can be used in so many different ways.

Here are some pictures of how we used it to decorate our bar area, positioning the panels in a checkerboard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srk1941/5768477514/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srk1941/5768479324/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srk1941/5767931123/

To answer your questions in the first post...

1. Is your weldtex interior or exterior? (ours is interior, though I've seen it used both ways. I've even seen it used as the form for concrete walls, giving the finished concrete a wonderful textured pattern)

2. How thick are the panels? (the panels we have are not very thick at all, you can see in the closeup of the circular panel on the front door of the bar. probably 1/4 inch thick.)

3. What size are they? We understand some were full 4x8 sheets, and some were much smaller, like 16"x16" panels, or even other sizes. (There are many advertisements in the design magazines of the day, listing their many sizes and applications. If you're interested, I can go find some and send you the scans)

4. If we could provide this material how much of it would you need to complete your project? (I would love to panel a room in Weldtex, and use it for other decorative things like curtain valances, bookcase surrounds, etc)

5. Would you paint or stain this material? (as you can see we painted ours green to match the walls in the room, but I've seen it more frequently as laquered clear Douglas fir, mostly on furniture or interior walls/case pieces)

6. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being very important) how important is it to you to be able to purchase this material? (10+!)
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

JeffNichols
Modern Groupie

Weldtex now being produced

Postby JeffNichols » Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Just a quick update. Weldtex is now available.

If you are interested in learning more about this great product check out.

http://eichlersiding.com/wpblog/?page_id=39

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”