Kind of a newbie, curious about this house...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MCRanchFan
Modern Groupie

Kind of a newbie, curious about this house...

Postby MCRanchFan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm somewhat new to mid-century and MCM houses. We are putting an offer on this house (our first house)

Here's a better shot of it

It was built in 1956; 3bd 2ba; 1700 sq feet. The third bedroom looks as if it was meant to be a second living room originally, as it has a door leading to the outside. The windows aren't correct and the exterior is sporting faux, stone siding, which i'm sure isn't original but it fits okay. I peeked under the carpet in a closet and found linoleum similar to what Stephen found in this thread:

It also has a two car carport and flush exterior doors (yippee, crestview doors potential!)

Was it Storybook? Traditional? A random attempt at MCM by some hack architect?. Has anyone on here seen this type of ranch before?
It be really cool to find the original floorplans to this house or old drawings or photos of a similar house to get an idea of what we could be getting.

thanks guys
Last edited by MCRanchFan on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scowsa » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Welcome to Lotta Livin'.

Check out the descriptions on Pages 64-66 in this document and see which most matches your house.

Whatever the style, you can obviously add more MCM touches and you will find many on this Board if you use the Search feature.

Also check out Atomic Ranch mag, as it covers a wide range of ranch styles that have been renovated with an MCM bias.
scowsa

MCRanchFan
Modern Groupie

Postby MCRanchFan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey thanks!

Looks like a cross between Minimal Traditional and California Ranch.

I buy Atomic Ranch when i can!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm

WOW, VERY CUTE! I love the color. As for the tile, yep, it more than likely is asbestos, and no you don't have to worry about it: as I've said before, the asbestos is in suspension, ergo, it's inert. It's actually far superior to most, if not all, flooring manufactured today. My house had asbestos tiles that I lived in for 40-years: I ain't dead!
The cool thing about that house is you can put nearly any style you want into it and it would look good, whereas a "modern" house would look off if you were to put actual antiques (100-years!) in it.
Gabby and I refer to that style as a "Marx Doll House", or "Plasticville house" (no that's not meant as a derogatory term, research it), because that style looks like the doll houses from the 1950's.
Just my opinion,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

MCRanchFan
Modern Groupie

Postby MCRanchFan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:53 am

Welp, we decided not to go for that house after all. :? On our second look, it became clear, it was more work than we first thought to make it livable.
(first house/not made of money)

We will be resuming our home search after the new year. This city is crawling with mid-century homes so i'm not dissapointed! :P In fact, there are quite a few interesting MCM's.

If i make a video or photo album of my favorite MCMs in town, would it belong in this forum, or in the 'Favorite Buildings' forum??

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 am

You are not going to find a vintage house that does not need some work, it's part of the fun! OK well, maybe not fun. But most places that are "fixed up" have been done with far too many items from the Home Depot and mass market taste. If you want cool, you are going to have to do it yourself. The thing to do is figure out what is really a deal breaker in terms of say deferred maintenance (rot, termites, expensive new roof needed, re-piping) and what is really more cosmetic. When I bought my current house, my thoughts were: "I'd so rent this place" In other words, what can you live with? I still have a dryer out on a back porch (served as a bar several times) awaiting the relocation of the laundry to the attached garage. I have two baths that still need work, but are workable. In fact, I concentrated on the landscape first so it would be filling in (and making the place look better to the neighbors) before doing anything major beyond what was necessary to move in (floors, interior painting) So just remember, the best place for you could be the one with the worst carpet.

MCRanchFan
Modern Groupie

Postby MCRanchFan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 am

agreed.

Thats why we're waiting, so we have the money to renovate (not all at once of course) when we get into a home. 8-) Who knows, that house may still be on the market by then.

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:54 pm

modding these houses is definitely fun when you start to see results. we have a new addition to our house and a 4 month old little gal doesn't let me do projects around here like i used to!

my advice is to do some curb appeal right away weather that's landscaping, paint, new fence.... etc.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”