Reagan's modern home lighting, 50s

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

turboblown
Modern Master

Reagan's modern home lighting, 50s

Postby turboblown » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 am

MCRanchFan
Modern Groupie

Postby MCRanchFan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:06 am

awesome!

I really hope this house hasn't been ruined...

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:41 pm

i'm a big fan of the fluorescent wall-washer slots where the wall meets the ceiling (looks like they also hide the top of the curtains) around 57 seconds in ..

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:29 pm

brianhinfl
Modern Groupie

Postby brianhinfl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Bringing this back from the past. This video has been in the back of my mind since I saw it last year. I've recently started thinking about making a modern version of these wall-washer slots.

Putting these:

Inside of one of these:

and then routing out a slot in my ceiling dryway by the wall joint and sticking the assembly in there.

Anyone tried using these LED strip lights in their house? I've been retrofitting my motorcoach with them over the past few months and the results in that environment have been spectacular.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:17 pm

I used white ones under my kitchen cabinets for countertop light and also amber ones under the lower cabinets to make the floor have a nice soft yellow glow. I used a switch-mode 12v/5A power supply on them mounted in a PVC NEMA4 box.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Turboblown brings up a good point, you would not want to use the blueish ones you show as ambient up lighting. (although good or OK for task, like a counter) Warmer temps are lower numbers, i.e. 2700 is a lot like a regular incandescent lamp, above 4000 is going to be like a cool white fluorescent. Better to waste money on some samples than to be stuck with a whole roll you don't like.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I used 3200C white under the upper cabinets. It's a little "cold" looking, but it's not bad. It doesn't look blue like some cold LED colors. The lower level is true amber.

Off topic...
My landscape lighting is all 4W 120VAC LED @ 2700C color and looks identical to incandescent. Housings are http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/r ... wain1.html if you like that original look.

I'm using LED almost everywhere now except for a few locations that have CFL.

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Fantastic video, thanks for sharing.

I have a handful of fiber optic lights that were removed from a MCM in Michigan belonging to the state. It was the Governor's house at the time, I think it's vacant now as the new governor chose to continue living in squalor somewhere farther away. During reconstruction, they were being tossed out and I salvaged what I could. I used them outdoors in the soffits of our old house, but pulled them out when we moved for various reasons. They don't provide a lot of light, but work well for landscaping. The brand is Fiber Stars, and they are still made. It's a bundle of fibers in what looks like a white hose, originating at what appears to be a computer power supply with a halogen bulb in it, ending at what looks like a tiny can light, about two inches across.
I will use them again, but haven't found the right spot for them in our current house, as it has a flat roof and while the soffits are huge and they would look great there, they are completely inaccessible. If the roof ever comes off, I might put them in again. It's not worth pulling all the plywood down now though.
I don't care for lamps at all, and prefer built in fixtures wherever possible. It's been a challenge here though, because there are so many switched outlets rather than fixtures. For now, track lighting will have to do in places like the living room.
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”