Cliff May Neighborhood in Los Angeles?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

sparklegem
Modern Master

Cliff May Neighborhood in Los Angeles?

Postby sparklegem » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 am

Is there an accessible Cliff May neighborhood in the LA area? My mom will be visiting and she is fan of Cliff May. I would love to take her on a drive by or walking tour of some terrific Cliff Mays.

Thank you!!
Gemma

P.S. Long Beach is too far for her to travel :(

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:09 pm

How about his neighborhood of custom homes called Riviera Ranch in Sullivan Canyon? That is off Sunset just beyond Brentwood (and Crestwood Hills)
It's right were Sunset makes a hairpin turn by Paul Revere Elementary. If you want, you can PM me an email and I can scan the pages I got when going on a tour a few years ago. There's a map with all the houses he did there. Chris Choate's house is also there (he was May's partner on the prefabs)

sparklegem
Modern Master

Thank You!!!

Postby sparklegem » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Thank you so much Egads!! I pm'd you and I would love to see the information on the Riviera Ranches!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 pm

I'll look for your email address in a PM message. The stuff I have is from a tour organized by the friends of the gamble House as part of their Sidney D. Gamble lecture series. Daniel Gregory, who wrote the big Cliff May book gave the lecture, called "California in a Container" The material is copyrighted and while I am comfortable providing to you, it would not be OK to post it here.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:06 pm

define LA area. there are many in greater SoCal
Last edited by Joe on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparklegem
Modern Master

LA!!

Postby sparklegem » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Any and all!

Thank you!!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Joe, do you know of any in LA or Ventura County? I guess the row of them on Wright in Pomona qualifies. But most so cal ones (besides my large Long beach tract) are in Orange & Sand Diego county. In Orange county there Stephen's group In Tustin (divided into two close by areas), a small group behind Disneyland off of Ball Road. A few in Costa Mesa south of Placentia & west of 19th (behind Wahoo's fish tacos) There was a listing Stephen posted awhile ago from some in Garden Grove. From old ads we know there are more in Anaheim & probably GG. But a lot of those places are "altered beyond recognition" I know from egregious examples in my own neighborhood that if you change out the windows and stucco over them, they look like any tract house. There are one offs here and there. May would sell you a prefab house to put on your lot. There's one northeast of the Cerritos shopping center. My friend noticed one in Pico Rivera.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I know there's a cluster of them in Lancaster. I did a quick survey of them a couple years back and they're generally not in the greatest of shape. Long Beach or Pomona are probably just as easy to get to.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:46 am

Here's an ad I found a few years ago that shows the location of a number of Cliff May neighborhoods in the L.A. area.
The area shown as Pomona is now Montclair. The Pomona Cliff Mays on Wright Street aren't shown on this ad.

Last edited by home_boy on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:02 am

sparklegem, you did not say when your mother was in town, so a reminder to you and other Cliff May groupies

Carefree California: Cliff May and the Romance of the Ranch
January 2012- June 2012
University Art Museum at UC Santa Barbara

http://www.uam.ucsb.edu/exhibitions/upcoming/index.html

Their Architecture & Design Collection (ADC) "contains 110 collections and includes more than 850,000 drawings, 200,000 photographs and negatives, 1300 linear feet of manuscript material" and is open to researchers. I recently met their curator at an LA event.

"Holdings include the work of pioneering modernists active in California before World War II such as Irving J. Gill (1870-1936), Rudolph M. Schindler (1887-1953), Kem Weber (1889-1963), and J. R. Davidson (1889-1977).

Much of the ADC documents California’s "second generation" of modernists, active between 1945 and 1980. Designs range from Cliff May’s (1908-1998) hacienda-inspired ranch houses, prefabricated dwellings by Gregory Ain (1908-1988), and innovative Case Study houses by Thornton Abell (1906-1984), Edward Killingsworth (1911-2004), and Whitney R. Smith (1911-2002), to environmentally responsive school buildings by Maynard Lyndon (1907-1999) as well as futuristic structures by Albert Frey (1903-1998) and Paul Lászlò (1900-1993)."
scowsa

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for linking that ad, Home_Boy...I was trying to find it the other day without any luck.

BTW: Don't go looking around anywhere near the North Hollywood, Encino, or Azusa addresses...Any signs of Cliff May houses there are long gone.

Perkins Realty Group

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 am

I think some of the locations where model homes and not actual subdivisions.

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Indeed. Some of them seem, based on what's there now, to have been intended as temporary structures (perhaps similar to the one built on the roof of the Sloane furniture building in Beverly Hills). I'd guess that to be the case for the Azusa and North Hollywood addresses. Not sure about Encino; there's an enormous McMansion there now. The original San Clemente model might still be standing; there seem to be a small number (maybe 3 or 4) Cliff May homes within a one-block area of the intersection mentioned in the ad.

Perkins Realty Group

Tikimama
Modern Groupie

Postby Tikimama » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for this info! Anyone have any more on Cliff Mays in Montclair?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Cliff Mays in Montclair

Postby modfan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Located in the vicinity S. of San Bernardino Rd. on Fremont Ave.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:33 pm

I drive by the Montclair Cliff Mays occasionally just to see if anyone is fixing them up. I'd say there are about 18 or 20 of them in the neighborhood. Most of them have been remuddled, maybe 2 or 3 are in near to original condition. It doesn't look like any of them have been restored. It's a quiet street, near a hospital and a large Westfield shopping center. Although most people would consider Montclair a better location, I think the Pomona Cliff May tract has a better look and feel, but then, that's where i live.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There's one

Postby modfan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:18 am

Cliff May on American Ave. in Claremont-used to be on my newspaper route, the owner was a professor of mine at Cal Poly and his wife was Claremont realtor Jill McAllister, I think they divorced/moved away since, so I dunno what condition it is now.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”