FLW's Auld Brass

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

FLW's Auld Brass

Postby dilettante » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:07 am

In rural South Carolina, Frank Lloyd Wright's Auld Brass spreads underneath the Live Oak trees draped in Spanish Moss – its dramatic geometries, copper roof and Cypress construction unseen, even by most FLW fans.

The plantation-style home and outbuildings can be seen on tour for one weekend - every two years. This past weekend, the biennial event took place.

Image[/url]

A nice set of photos can be seen at:
Last edited by dilettante on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:07 am

An admittedly tenuous link to the topic but a bit of fun.

I was listening to Paul Simon's new CD (So Beautiful or So What) this week and as I now have all my music in my computer, I set my Sonos system to play everything by him and also with Garfunkel.

This track, originally on the Bridge Over Troubled Water album, was in the mix. This illustrated version courtesy of youtube.

In a live version of the song, Art Garfunkel explains how he initially studied architecture at Columbia and later asked Paul to write something about FLW.

Maybe we can persuade our "musician in residence" -- Robb Houston -- to write an MCM themed song?
scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”