Window caulk needs replacing?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
1957mcm
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Window caulk needs replacing?

Postby 1957mcm » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a 1957 mid-century modern home located in Silicon Valley. As far as I've been able to determine, the house was designed by Anshen & Allen, one of the firms that also did work for Eichler, although the construction of this home is decidedly more conventional, with a perimeter foundation and crawl space.

In any event, the large windows on this home appear to be just large panes of custom-shaped glass set in the wood framing of the house, which were then caulked on the outside to hold the panes in. Due to age and settling of the house, a lot of the caulk appears to be cracking, and I'm concerned about moisture seeping through and rotting out the wood. Does anyone know how to fix this, or what kind of expert I should contact to assess the situation? I imagine one solution is to just caulk over the cracks, but I'm not sure if a more a thorough removal and replacement of the existing caulk (if that's what it is) is required. Have I made a correct diagnosis, or is there something else that I should be thinking about?

Here are some pictures where you can see the caulk cracking and splitting along the base of the windows. The bead of caulk is quite large, probably about an inch wide.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:21 pm

It's called glazing compound:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=66

A good painter can replace it. Forming that perfect bevel takes experience. I think one can heat it to remove the old. A glass guy should be called if you think the large pane have sunk into the bottom wood. They can use their suction cups to lift it and shim underneath. The old shims were wood and deteriorate. New ones will be plastic. The wood underneath is normally not painted, just given a drink of oil. Priming that can make future removal difficult. The is a This Old House in current reruns with a visit to a shop that is repairing their old windows. Shows the whole process.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 am

1957mcm
Modern Groupie

Postby 1957mcm » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks for the response! I'll start looking for a painter who can replace the glazing compound.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:39 pm

its not hard to do. Go to the local home store, and buy a tub of it...not the tube, the tub. Roll it out and push it in the joint....then tool it with a putty knife of a fat thumb.
If you do that, there is some oil (beeswax maybe) that you put on the glass and wood first....you can also put it on the knife to help smooth it out.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Linseed oil is what is in the traditional glazing putty. It is a hardening oil. The putty is workable out of the can, but slowly dries hard. The is skill involved. Googling "glazing wood windows" will get you some instructive YouTube videos.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 am

Egads is correct. It is applied to the wood only so that it isn't wicked from the putty and cause it to crack.
Also you can heat the glazing up and it
becomes very much like play-doh
Use a heat gun to remove the old glazing.
Post pics if you do this yourself

1957mcm
Modern Groupie

Postby 1957mcm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:12 pm

I went out and got a few quotes for the work. One of them came back at around $350 to just take out the old glazing where it is cracked and to replace it, but I received another quote for $1,100 to do the same that also includes insurance against any glass breakage as well as to reposition one of the panes that looks like it has moved due to settling of the house. The $350 quote did not include any insurance nor think the pane that had settled was a problem, and they also said I'd have to sign a waiver against any damage to the glass, which they also mentioned was old and could be brittle.

Now, a $750 difference in price is nothing to sneeze at, so I'm wondering if the $350 quote would be a safe bet, or should I go with the $1,100 quote to make sure everything is done right?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 pm

i am going through doing window replacement quotes myself. i have 32!!!!! window panes to replace. (the house was abandoned for 2-3 years and became the local gang's clubhouse - so lots of broken panes and beebee holes in the glass.) plus the old glazing is totally shot on all of the windows.

my quotes have been around the 2000 mark. about 1000 for the glass and another 7-800+ for the labor to do the glazing.

how many windows are you doing?

1957mcm
Modern Groupie

Postby 1957mcm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:42 pm

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 am

How did this turn out?
Dying to see some pictures if you are finished.

1957mcm
Modern Groupie

Postby 1957mcm » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 am

Sadly the quoted price to repair was $1,100, and our budget has not allowed for it at the moment. We got another quote for $250, but that did not include insurance on window pane breakage, nor did it include the resetting of one of the panes of glass that had sagged. Our thoughts are that if we're going to do something, then do it right, so we'll probably be getting this done sometime in the new year.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”