Shade control for exterior patio

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

Shade control for exterior patio

Postby Birdwelliot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Our '55 MCM has a well-done patio roof (added in '59) that feels very much like an extension of the house. But it faces west and the sun pours through pretty good prior to sunset without any shade control. We have no idea what to do about the upper gable. Any ideas? I've been all over the Internet.

Thanks!

OK What did I do wrong in posting these photos?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Flicker has made it really hard to post photos. It used to be easy. I suggest just putting the link in like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75499747@N06/7876904272/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

My best suggestion is trees beyond, but the pool makes that problematic. (leaves in pool, roots near pool) Have you thought of using sun control shades on the windows inside? You can get shade cloth made in any shape, they could be fitted. But that open gable lets a lot of heat out of that patio.

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm

<- here are some angled shades. it would be best if they could roll from the bottom up (so the shades would be on the upper part of the 4x4 beam) so you wouldn't see them when they're open. not sure if hunter douglas can do that, though

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:15 am

scowsa

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

Postby Birdwelliot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks all for the photo advice and input. I've been thinking shade control on the windows but husband wants to slay the gable dragon--he's like that :) And yes, we will be putting in bamboo all along the back fence so that will help. Or at least shorten the time that the sun is beating in...

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

As egads mentioned, you can buy shade cloth by the yard, such as this

So one option is to build (or have built) two triangular frames that would fit in each side of the gable, with shade cloth stretched on them. Any company that makes awnings (such as over store fronts) has the skills and materials to build this.

Another, albeit more complicated, option is to have two large wooden "gable vents" built, applying the same principle of smaller gable vents like this, the horizontal slats being angled to keep out the sun.

scowsa

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:07 am

Birdwelliot,

What about outdoor curtains. But mesh, rather than a solid, to filter the light yet retain the view of the pool area. These are a metal mesh, but there's probably fabric mesh out there...

You could fill the gable area with the same mesh.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

shade cloth

Postby rockland » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”