Let's take a vote on exterior paint colors...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Let's take a vote on exterior paint colors...

Postby Panton-ite » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Ok,

We've been going over and over this, and we still can't make a decision. It's time to paint the house and we have to make a decision. It doesn't look that horrible in this picture, but in person, the turquoise/teal is awful.

My wife is thinking white. I'm thinking maybe a dark gray with white window trim and ceilings under overhangs and the carport. There is another Kenneth Johnson home in Buckhead that is dark brown with white fascia boards and overhangs that looks really great.

Obviously, the color has to work with the granite block walls.

Let's hear some ideas...

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am

I would vote that you paint the window trim the same color as the house.

Have you tried this? It really helped me. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeown ... isualizer/

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:27 am

One thing to keep in mind though with the above program--the colors on the screen will definitely not be the same as the actual paint. So I just went with what looked good on the screen and picked out a similar color in real life.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 am

Whenever this comes up, i do like Vans idea. Google image 'midcentury modern homes', (i'm sure you have already and looked at many homes on-line)

Applying similar colors to your home will be much different...
I like this one...http://minasdecorandfashion.blogspot.ca ... 82009.html

I like the color. Maybe try all one color body with windows the same but a dark charcoal roof line/mass. Painting the flashing as well to clean up the messiness it shows now. Just a thought. Anxious to see your choices.

MiMo
Modern Groupie

White or gray

Postby MiMo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:06 am

Both will work well. I think gray works better here with nature. I would definitely keep the window trim same as the house. Fascia maybe just different shade of the main house color. Overhang ceilings would be good white.
BTW I love your house and your KNOLL collection.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 pm

i like the current colors, so maybe you could simply find new improved versions of them?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

I kind of agree. I like the way it works with the stone. I also like how it echos the cactus color. I also think you could use a really darker version. If white seems to win out, at least make it off in the direction of the butter prickle stone & rock. I absolutely not do a contrasting trim. I do think painting the "lids" of the overhangs would be OK. Matching the interior ceilings pumps up the indoor/outdoor feel of MCM.

On second look, you could do the bottom band in a white that matched the stone. But not the upper row. You can (and probably should) change the product on the windows, just not the color.

The facia should of course be all painted the same color getting that flashing into the background. It looks like keeping the tree debris off the flat roof is a PIYA. Maybe a dark color there would help the look in between cleanings.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”