The Sins of Ceiling Fans

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

The Sins of Ceiling Fans

Postby Birdwelliot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Ok--#36 of the 100 Ways to Screw up your MCM list is installing a ceiling fan in a vaulted, exposed beam/t&g ceiling. I'm not sure I agree with this. Here's our living room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75499747@N ... 213415638/
And here's a Minka model we really like:
http://www.minka.com/images/products/me ... 53-BNW.jpg

What say you?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 am

Not bad, but what I really think is the best thing to use is the simplest, plain white one. I also think A/C is a better idea. The tech has made huge leaps in efficiency. I personally cannot wait to have the money to add it myself. I'm pretty sure I could actually be cool for what it's currently costing just to run a bunch of fans.

All that said, I have installed this fan in a vaulted space, I like the uplighting it includes as that is really good for TV watching:

http://regencyfan.com/media/catalog/pro ... /tn-bn.jpg

Birdwelliot
Modern Fan

Postby Birdwelliot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 am

We're actively exploring A/C too. During this heat spell, who isn't? We're looking at a mini-split system. I just wish we could pull the roof off and insulate at the same time, as well as take care of some wiring and lighting issues while the roof is off. But the roof is only 5 years old and reality does kick in...even though the previous owners reroofed it in dark dark gray asphalt...not only ugly but downright stupid in terms of heat retention.

We will probably augment the AC efficiency with a ceiling fan in the living room as well. We're considering the white over the chrome. And husband is sold on the Big Ass Fans/Minka three-blade solution as God's gift to air movement.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 pm

I can't imagine a house without a/c! (I'm in TX)

One advantage of the newer units (we just replaced ours with a 2-stage compressor and 18 seer rating) is that it really reduces the humidity levels.

I'm sorry, I just can't get on board with a ceiling fan in a place like yours. Since you're asking, I'd say get an a/c and some mod table fans. Here are a couple I like that aren't expensive. It's just going to get hotter as the years go by and blowing around hot air isn't going to make you feel better.

http://goo.gl/0kRWj
http://goo.gl/iQxPH

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:57 am

Not a sin really if your climate is mostly dry and you need some air circulating. A simple 3 blade version is ok. I considered one early on but i soon learned it was not needed. In the NEast it is the same issues as texas...humidity. It took us the first 4 seasons to learn how to retain comfort by opening and closing some sliders. 45 yesterday morning and 80 by noon. High 90's in july and the garage was hot soup. Ran a hassock fan for a week and did nothing. Running central air for an hour in the home took care of the humidity.

An operable skylight is what we need for certain times for heat escape when humidity is low. Every home has its own needs and often takes a bit of time to find an efficient solution.

101 screw-ups is more about brassy fixtures and country curtains, wishing wells, and little tykes plastic mailboxes, shutters, doilies.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am

The secret to efficient A/C is sizing. The good ol' boys still use "rules of thumb" to decide how much A/C to install. The modern way is to do load calculations to size it right. Right sized A/C should run almost continuously on the hottest days. The most expensive part of A/C use is the starting of the compressor (the outside unit) While mini-splits are a good solution in many cases (like having a flat roofed MCM that never have central heat) just having real central air with the latest tech is the best bang for the buck. And never close off registers. That just puts an extra strain on the blower motor, slowly killing it. New furnaces have variable speed blowers that work with the two speed ( or multi speed) compressors to keep the interior cool. With tax credits and rebates buying the most efficient units can cost little more than getting the minimum.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 pm

we have a mini-split and it works well.
that supplemented with old fashioned looking table fans and you don't need a ceiling fan.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm

if its a sin then it's important to sin as thoughtful as possible. Chose a nice modern three blade, give a bit more thought to placement and location where the impact on the interior isn't so intrusive. Not everyone have thousands to drop on an ac just because its hot no matter how much the want is, well not me anyway. Nice table fans with one nice three blade ceiling fan may offend a bunch of forum mcm elitist but it won't kill you while you save for that heavenly ac.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”